Error: Journal name in reference list as abbreviation

Hi,

Due to some reason, I am seeing Journal name for "Academy of Management Journal" and "Academy of Management Review" in reference list as abbreviations.

e.g.

Anand, N., Gardner, H.K., Morris, T., 2007. Knowledge-Based Innovation: Emergence and Embedding of New Practice Areas in Management Consulting Firms. ACAD MANAGE J 50, 406–428. doi:10.2307/20159861

Bowen, D.E., Ostroff, C., 2004. Understanding HRM–Firm Performance Linkages: The Role of the “Strength” of the HRM System. ACAD MANAGE REV 29, 203–221.

The papers from other journals are being listed correctly in the reference list.
I have checked the data for the references in standalone. I have the journal's full name listed there correctly with all the other info.

Any suggestions?

Thanks !
  • which citation style?

If you insert the same citation in a new document with the same citation style, does it look correctly?
  • What is in the journal abbreviation field in your Zotero record? When imported, the journal abbreviation is in all upper case characters -- at least it is for me.

How I wish that there was a way to turn off downloading abbreviations as a Zotero setting!!
  • @adamsmith

I am using "Elsevier Harvard (With Title) style"
    Inserting the same citation in a new document still gives the same error.

@DWL-SDCA

Data under journal abbreviation field in my Zotero record is:
    ACAD MANAGE J
    ACAD MANAGE REV
    Yes, on import of citation from these journals, the abbreviation is in upper case characters for me.

I do see a turn off setting for abbreviations capitalization in Doc preference setting in my word connector (In Elsevier Harvard style). I tried using that and the capitalization was removed and Journal abrev became:
    Acad. Manage. J.
  • The style is supposed to abbreviate journal titles -- with the "automate journal abbreviation" setting it does so automatically from the journal title, with the option unchecked, it takes the content of the journal abbreviation field. So everything is working as expected. If you don't want abbreviated journal titles, use a different citation style.
  • In the same style, other references do not include journal abbreviations. e.g.:

Addison, J.T., 2005. The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High-Performance Work Practices. Scottish Journal of Political Economy 52, 406–450. doi:10.1111/j.0036-9292.2005.00351.x
    Anand, N., Gardner, H.K., Morris, T., 2007. Knowledge-Based Innovation: Emergence and Embedding of New Practice Areas in Management Consulting Firms. ACAD MANAGE J 50, 406–428. doi:10.2307/20159861
    Basford, T.E., Offermann, L.R., 2012. Beyond leadership: The impact of coworker relationships on employee motivation and intent to stay. Journal of Management & Organization 18, 807–817. doi:10.1017/S1833367200000456
    Becker, B.E., Gerhart, B., 1996. The Impact of Human Resource Management on Organizational Performance: Progress and Prospects. ACAD MANAGE J 39, 779–801. doi:10.2307/256712
    Becker, B.E., Huselid, M.A., 1998. High Performance Work Systems and Firm Performance: A Synthesis of Research and Managerial Implications. Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management 16, 53–102.
    Becker, B.E., Huselid, M.A., Pickus, P.S., Spratt, M.F., 1997. HR as a source of shareholder value: Research and recommendations. Human Resource Management 36, 39–47.
    Bowen, D.E., Ostroff, C., 2004. Understanding HRM–Firm Performance Linkages: The Role of the “Strength” of the HRM System. ACAD MANAGE REV 29, 203–221.
  • edited October 4, 2016
    That's because you have both 1) the automatically abbreviate option turned off and 2) nothing in the journal abbreviation field for those articles.
    Trust me, the style uses abbreviations as is required by the relevant Elsevier journals that use it. There are a gazillion other Harvard styles to choose from should you not want journal abbreviations:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Harvard&dependent=0
  • I just checked the data and you were right.
    Emerald Harvard style solved my prob. Thanks for timely support !