Electronic Journal Articles and Item Type

I feel certain this question must already be addressed somewhere in the forums, but I have been searching for an hour now without success. Can anyone give me some guidance on how Zotero handles electronic journal articles in terms of "item type?" Am I correct that articles that are only published online are handled in one's library in exactly the same way as an article published in a print journal? From what I can tell, these two types of journal articles are only distinguished from one another in a bibliography according to the citation style one is using and how that style handles the URL library field. Is this correct? If so, this poses a real problem for me since Zotero still does not offer a CSL that conforms to the American Anthropological Association Style Guide and the Chicago Style (upon which the AAA style is loosely based) also does not conform to AAA requirements for these types of journal articles.

On a second, related matter, can someone please point me toward instructions related to changing an existing CSL style. I think I may attempt to edit the American Political Science Association CSL to somewhat suit my purposes by removing italics, quotation marks around journal article title, and the period after year of publication. I think if I am able to do that I will have a CSL that only require 1 or (possibly) 2 search and replace formatting changes to be workable for the AAA style.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer
  • If so, this poses a real problem for me since Zotero still does not offer a CSL that conforms to the American Anthropological Association Style Guide and the Chicago Style (upon which the AAA style is loosely based) also does not conform to AAA requirements for these types of journal articles.
    Can you please give more details about how Zotero's output differs from what the style manuals call for? Perhaps give one example of both a printed an electronic-only reference, show how they are currently cited, and finally show how they should be cited.
    can someone please point me toward instructions related to changing an existing CSL style.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/creating_citation_styles
  • The difference between a paper and electronic journal article does not warrant a separate type; they're both articles.

If you need that distinction in the style, there are other ways to achieve it. Depends what you really need for me to give any specific advice.
  • Hi,

This is the same problem how do I get Zotero to identify it was a journal / newspaper accessed online rather than the print version.

If I access an article on Emerald through Google or a newspaper article thru Proquest it says I have directly accessed the article in print rather than in the online format.

How do I prevent this from happening ?

Cheers
    Sajan
  • how do I get Zotero to identify it was a journal / newspaper accessed online rather than the print version.
    Easy: add the URL and an access date.
  • Are you sure you want to cite this as an online article? Generally authors and publishers would prefer to cite the print version over a web reproduction of the print version.

If you really want the URL to come through you can uncheck the "include URLs of paper articles in references" checkbox in the Export tab of the preferences pane.
  • Thanks TJowens

I couldn't believe it was as simple as checking a checkbox as I was preparing to hit the source code to make the changes lol.

It works like a charm. I was trying everything like putting the URL and access date and it just won't work.

The reason I feel is important to include it as a online version just to make sure perchance the assignment is micro scrutinised for errors it should reveal the source of error due to online access and not the print material. There is 1 in 1 billion chance Online material could miss some pages that of the print.

Besides its not the truth to say I accessed the newspaper article from June 1996 in print. lol

However in the bibliography it is missing this word just after the title "[online]".

I.vanHoek, R., 1999. From reversed logistics to green supply chains. Supply Chain Management, 4(3), 129. Available at: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=86923217&Fmt=7&clientId=6297&RQT=309&VName=PQD [Accessed March 23, 2009].  

Thanks once again for your help.

Cheers
    Sajan
  • @bdarcus: With all due respect, I believe it would benefit the user community to have more say--or at least more insight--in what criteria are used to determine what is and what is not "warranted." Your users might be better informed about particular concerns than the developers. They're not stupid people.

I don't see this as a simple matter of differing distribution methods for identical content: there is a qualitative difference that sometimes needs to be acknowledged in the citation. The makers of Endnote seem to recognize this. The academic publishing industry is in crisis, much like our newspapers. There are books and journals that are ONLY published electronically, with more appearing all the time. One example is Literature Compass:

http://www.blackwell-compass.com/subject/literature/

These publications do not always want to be cited like a regular journal: sometimes, it's impossible, given their requirements.
  • Tjowens wrote: "If you really want the URL to come through you can uncheck the "include URLs of paper articles in references" checkbox in the Export tab of the preferences pane."

Yes, I would like the URL and the access date to come through in my footnotes and bibliography in Microsoft Word, but in my Preferences pane, I do not see this "include URLs of paper articles in references" checkbox anywhere. In fact the Export tab seems to be more about how Zotero exports the reference if one were to Quick Copy it, rather than using the Zotero word processor plug-in (which is how I want to do it). Could someone provide me suggestions for how to make the URL and access date come through in the Word documents using the plug in?
  • With all due respect, I believe it would benefit the user community to have more say--or at least more insight--in what criteria are used to determine what is and what is not "warranted." Your users might be better informed about particular concerns than the developers. They're not stupid people.
    I missed this comment from way back, but for the record ...

You can't keep using this user/developer distinction to critique my arguments, MG6. I am a practicing, publishing scholar, former Endnote user, and current Zotero user.

I also happen to have designed some of the technology used in Zotero, most notably CSL for citation styling, and the BIBO RDF model for data import/export.

My position on these sorts of issues is born of absolutely practical experience as a user, then. In some cases, these technologies, and by extension Zotero, have very deliberately been designed differently than Endnote. E.g. saying that "Endnote seems to recognize this" is hardly a convincing argument for me.

So no, you're not "better informed" on this particular issue.

On your argument that ...
    These publications do not always want to be cited like a regular journal: sometimes, it's impossible, given their requirements.
    I don't see the relevance. My comment earlier is saying that an item (article, book, broadcast, etc.) with a URL is effectively an "electronic document". A citation style can use that logic to present different rules for these sorts of online sources.

The issue here is that this technology needs to be designed to reflect where we are in 2010, and to be flexible going forward. Increasingly, all manner of sources are electronic/digital and/or online; even centuries old archival documents can often be accessed online as PDFs or image files (and yes, I've used those sorts of documents in my own scholarship).

Types are hard enough without confusing them for less significant characteristics such as format or access method.
  • I do not see this "include URLs of paper articles in references" checkbox anywhere
    It's in the Styles pane now.