Group Sharing, Storage, & File Edits

Hello!

If needed:
I'm using Firefox Zotero extension 4.0.29.14
Firefox is version 49.0
On MacBookPro running Yosemite 10.10.5

I mainly use group libraries to either transfer files to someone else, in some cases for them to add to their home library, or at other times (which is more complicated) so that they can help go through and format the entries properly (add any metadata that the site/document didn't have written in) so that when I export the final bibliography and citations they are accurate.

Of course the issue with that is the changes do not come back to my home library, which I've written the citations from in Word. And I'd like to have the files accurate regardless.

The only work around I found was to export it from the group and import that file from my desktop. Then I "merge" them in my library.

A bit arduous to say the least :D

I was wondering with the file storage—at this point when I drag a collection into a shared library, that person will have the titles and all but not the files, unless I buy more storage, I'm assuming? If I were to do this for my own account, since I'm the "group" creator, would those files be on my storage I'm assuming?

Atm I have my sync settings to not sync attachments to my library or groups, and I assume they are thus only stored on my computer.

But I figure if I create a shared library, invite the user, they pull it into their home library, then they can use the URLs to download the files if they desire?

Still not sure how to have someone edit the entries unless I give them my Zotero.com login and they edit directly within the website library.

Lastly...and I think I should maybe do a separate post on this...my library is becoming rather large and Firefox is a bit sluggish with it all at times...I did see a post on here about creating separate libraries and that in Zotero 5 we will be able to selective sync groups, however if I want to keep all the hard files, I'm assuming at that point I'd have to buy file storage if I want to move my home library to a group/shared as an archive.

And, this would still run into the issue of not being able to pull it back into my home library terribly well (as now, if I try to pull back in, it won't carry changes made or will duplicate, etc).

I don't know if this post has made any sense as I did wander around a bit!

Please let me know if I can clarify ;D

Many thanks!
  • Do start a separate post on the slowness with more details about library size, please.

I don't have much to say to the group issue except that you're understanding everything correctly (i.e. the answer to every one of your questions is "yes") and there is indeed currently no reasonably user-friendly way to merge changes to items copied to a group back to your personal Zotero library.