COinS translator and Date Accessed

Hello everyone,

This is a rather technical question, directed to the main developers.

The following website, that publishes conference reports (in the field of history, in Switzerland), has added metadata through COinS, so that they can easily be added to Zotero:

https://www.infoclio.ch/de/node/130218

However, when Zotero imports from these pages, it does not fill in the "Accessed Date" field.

They have asked me for advice, and I have pinpointed the problem to the following line in the Zotero source code: Zotero.Utilities.parseContextObject(), that is called by the COinS translator, explicitely sets accessDate to an empty string.

I cannot find a good reason for this, especially since the same code does add a date if the context object uses rft.identifier instead of rft_id (see line 445 in the same function).

How should I/we proceed? Should I propose a pull request / patch for this?
  • I see no reason for this, but as you can see, it actually precedes not just my time contributing but even my time _using_ Zotero.
    I'd just put up a PR deleting that line with a reference to this thread. Dan will have to review and merge anyway, so if he does have any objections he can just not take it.
  • Well, you have something like rft_id=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.infoclio.ch%2Fde%2Fpaperworks-literarische-und-kulturelle-praktiken-mit-schere-leim-papier, but the url is maybe not the best id to give here. If there is an url given in the metadata as an id, then the line you pointed to in Zotero will save this this in the item.url field, but without any access date, because as an id the url should not change. Thus, I can see some reason why it is done the way it is done currently. On the other side, after importing the information into zotero, one cannot see anymore, that the url is actually an id, and more information like the access date might be useful.
  • But also, for pure consistency: if you save an item to Zotero using any other stable ID, like a DOI, we still add an access date.