Import from Scopus to Zotero when ezproxy is in use doesn't work

One of our library staff noticed a problem where the Zotero in Firefox ability to import to to Zotero from Scopus was missing. Casey Schacher reported it to this discussion list some days ago.

Here’s a video showing the problem:

http://screencast.com/t/1qPaVY2W2b

We have the latest OCLC ezproxy configuration for Scopus and Science Direct enabled on our locally hosted ezproxy server. This definition is at:

https://www.oclc.org/support/services/ezproxy/documentation/db/elsevier.en.html

When we installed this, it didn’t solve the problem and I can duplicate the problem on my computer as well, so it’s not just one computer having the problem.

We’d love to know of any additions to this ezproxy configuration that would resolve this problem and make the

“Save to Zotero using Scopus” selection appear in the Zotero menu so that you could pick it.

So I contacted OCLC Ezproxy support on this issue, and they basically said talk to Elsevier and Zotero about it. They said "It sounds like Zotero just doesn't realize what page it's on because of the change in context from the renamed URL."

Elsevier tech support said "Scopus does not have an official support for Zotero.

Based on the description of the problem encountered, it is likely that import from Scopus to Zotero does not work when accessing Scopus through ezproxy because the URL is different and Zotero doesn’t understand that user is on Scopus.

I google about Zotero proxy troubleshooting and found this link https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/proxies explained about the proxy configuration. I would like to recommend you to contact your local IT tocheck on the setting

If there is any clarification required, please let me know."

The Zotero ezproxy link didn't really help me with this issue.

I'd love it if someone found an ezproxy configuration that fixes this issue.

Thank you,
Sue Dentinger, U Wisconsin Madison Libraries
  • yeah, as I think I mentioned to Casey, this is because of the URL changes imposed by ezproxy, which changes the base URL (i.e. from www.scopus.com to www-scopus-com ). So the response from OCLC is exactly right.
    I'm not currently sure how we would elegantly solve this on the Zotero side (Scopus isn't the only site where that happens).
    I'm a bit puzzled why proxies insert hyphens into URLs on some pages, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

Sorry, right now that's all I have.
  • As I understand it, when using HTTPS Secure connections, the hyphens are needed in the hostname such as https://www-scopus-com.ezproxy.library.wisc.edu so that the correct security certificate for the ezproxy.library.wisc.edu domain will be accepted. Wildcard certificates are not acceptable and otherwise UW Madison libraries would have to have a separate certificate for every secure hostname they were connecting to. This way the ezproxy.library.wisc.edu certificate will work for this and every other host we proxy.
  • ah yes, that does make sense. @Dan%20Stillman , any ideas? We can obviously change all regexes, but there has to be a better way?
  • I am trying to resurrect this thread to see if there is a workaround for our Scopus to Zotero users.
  • This should almost certainly work with Zotero 5.0, due out shortly.
  • Hi Adam,

We are still having issues with EZ proxy and Zotero. Not only does Scopus not work still, but Google Scholar also does not work. In the case of Google Scholar, I get the Zotero Item Selector dialog box, but once I select my items and hit ok, nothing happens. In the case of Scopus, it only saves "document search results". Several folks within my organization have reported this. I have the latest Zotero update installed and this issue is occurring within both Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks in advance.

Casey
  • We'd want specific sample URLs including the EZProxy as you see them.
  • Just to update -- I can replicate the google scholar through proxy failure -- still looking at that.
  • Thanks for the udate Adam!
  • Hi Adam, please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in this investigation. Some of our patrons are awaiting an update from me about this issue.

Thanks!