Attached file could not be found - am using WebDAV and Dropbox

I have an account on the sync server, a WebDAV account on BOX but I'm not entirely sure if it's working (I have 1GB of files, the zotero folder on BOX only has 300MB?), and all my files are dumped via Zotfile to a Dropbox folder. My original PC crashed but thanks to the dropbox, I saved all the files. The new PC has zotero up and running, all the info and entries are still there, but when I double-click anything, it says that the file cannot be found. Everything is set up exactly the same in both Zotero preferences and in Zotfile. Some folder names are different, naturally, but the structure inside the dropbox folder is the same.

I'm not sure if I'm making perfect sense here.
  • ZotFile typically moves files, so it's not surprising that they're not on your WebDAV. For Dropbox, do you have base folder specified in the advanced tab of the zotero preferences?
  • Yep, the base folder is set as the Dropbox folder.
  • I'd install Zutilo: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zutilo-utility-for-zotero/reviews/ to see where Zotero is actually looking for the files.
  • Huh. For some reason, it was still saying that the files are in the same old directory as the previous PC (my Dropbox was on the D drive, now it's on C). Zutilo fixed it.

But how do I get all of this to the WebDAV, anyway?
  • It's either or -- either you move the files to Dropbox using ZotFile or you store them in Zotero's data folder and sync with webDAV.

If you want to go from linked files on Dropbox to files stored/attached in Zotero, change the "Location of Files" setting in the ZotFile preferences from Custom location to "Attach Stored copy", then select all item in your library and use Manage Attachments -- Rename to convert them from links to attachments.
  • Oh, I see. That's not going to work if I want to access my files offline, I'm guessing?

At least now I know how that works. Thanks a lot! :)
  • well -- you can access them offline from within Zotero. The Zotero data folder with all your files is on your harddisk (and webDAV will sync them across devices). Up to you if that works for you or not.
    I personally have a preference for webDAV syncing (e.g. it works with most mobile apps), but both setups are fine and each has their own advantages.