4.0.29.13 breaks multiple citations with office 2016 and MacOS Sierra GM

4.0.29.13 fixed a problem with a non-draggable zotero standalone window after installing MacOS Sierra GM, but breaks multiple citations with the word plug-in. Have reverted to the stuck-window zotero version for now.
  • could you specify "breaks multiple citations"? What exactly happens?
  • With 4.0.29.13, when trying to insert 'multiple sources' using the zotero Word plugin, the right panel remains blank and no citations can be selected. Individual citations work.
  • Hi, I have the same problem on debian using zotero in firefox and openoffice 4.1.2. Are there any possible solutions to his?
  • edited September 20, 2016
    The easiest would be to use the quick format bar for multiple citations. The classic citation view is not seeing a lot of love -- or testing.

Edit: that's https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#citations_with_multiple_cited_items
    I'm not able to reproduce this. Can someone seeing this provide the exact steps to reproduce, as well as a Report ID?
  • Report ID 1417855531

Latest Microsoft Word for Mac. Recently installed MacOS Sierra GM. Zotero standalone 4.0.29.13 and zotero Word plugin. Insert 'multiple sources' fails.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Open zotero standalone
    2. Open an existing or blank Word document
    3. From the add-ins tab, click on zotero insert citations
    4. The Zotero Add/Edit Citation window opens.
    5. Click on a citation and then on the 'multiple sources button', or just on this button without having first selected a reference
    6. A blank panel opens on the right of the window
    7. Clicking on references in the center of the window does nothing. They do not appear in the still-blank right panel.
    8. Click on 'OK'.
    9. In the Word document, '{Citation}' appears at the intended insertion point
    10. Subsequent 'multiple sources' attempts behave the same, but the 'OK' button is grayed out.

Single citation sources work.

Thanks
  • Addendum: Of course, with 'multiple sources' selected and clicking on references in the center panel, I'm also clicking on the green right arrow to move the citation over to the right, but nothing appears in the blank right panel.
    Clicking on references in the center of the window does nothing. They do not appear in the still-blank right panel.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You have to click the right-facing arrow to move the items to the right-hand pane. (Seems like double-clicking should do the same thing, but it doesn't.) [Update: OK, saw your addendum. So it's the green right arrow that's not working?]

Also, to be clear, from your description, it sounds like you've enabled the classic Add Citation dialog in the Cite pane of the prefs. As adamsmith says, you can also do this in the (default) Quick Format dialog. But this does work for me in the classic dialog.
  • [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: io.citation.sortedItems is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/integration/addCitationDialog.js" line: 500}]
    You are getting an error, though, so I would believe that something's not working for you. I'm just not sure what.
  • Can you reproduce this, immediately after restarting Zotero, with a new blank document and two new empty book items in the root of your library?
  • Right, that's why I added the addendum that I do click the right face arrow, but nothing happens.

I prefer the classic add citation dialog that is broken. I can confirm that the quick format dialog does work for multiple sources.

I also confirm that I can reproduce the classic dialog problem immediately after restarting zotero with a new blank document and two new empty book items in the root of my library.

Also, if I set the preferences for the quick format dialog everything works, but if I choose the classic dialog from the quick format drop down menu, again the classic dialog window fails with 'multiple sources'
  • What style are you using?
  • A modified style for Clinical Neurophysiology.
  • However, this style works with the quick format dialog, with the previous zotero version classic dialog, and the problem with 4.0.29.13 persists with other unmodified styles, such as Cell.
    OK, that's the info we needed. This is a problem with the citation processor, which was updated in 4.0.29.13.

@fbennett, I can reproduce this with Cell and 4.0.29.13, which has citeproc-js 1.1.130. When "Keep Sources Sorted" is enabled, as it is by default, it tries to generate a preview of the citation and fails with this:
    Error: TypeError: io.citation.sortedItems is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/integration/addCitationDialog.js
    Line: 500
    (The Quick Format dialog doesn't generate a preview, so this doesn't happen.)
  • OK. Good luck with getting a fix.

Many thanks
    My fault, sorry---I didn't liase properly over a recent change. A new release of the processor that should fix this is available as tag 1.1.131.

I have also updated the Propachi plugins with the new processor version. The Propachi plugins can be used to update the processor in Standalone or in Zotero for Firefox. If used with the latter, the plugin should be removed or disabled at the next Zotero update.

(For Standalone, I believe the plugin can be added via Tools -> Add-ons -> gear menu [upper-right corner of popup])
  • Fixed in 4.0.29.14, available now.
  • I confirm repair of this issue for me with 4.0.29.14.

Many thanks
  • ( @"Dan Stillman" BTW release 4.0.29.12 is missing on the 4.0_changelog )
  • (There was no 4.0.29.12.)