Choosing the right citation style to work with .doc files

Hello everyone!

I'm using Zotero (both standalone and Firefox plug-in, depending on circumstances) with LibreOffice integration plug-in; but on LibreOffice, I always work with .doc file format on my text documents (because it's much easier for sharing/collaborative working than using .odt text files - which, unfortunately, very few people seem to use or even know about, as almost everyone keeps on using Microsoft's programs and propietary file formats as if by default...)

The thing is: I mostly need to work with citation styles which will feature a note+bibliography format; but on those I have installed from Zotero's repository and tried to use till now, I always find a serious limitation. Namely: when setting parameters on the "Document preferences" as I start working on a text document, I always find that I cannot set the option "markers" (the one which will preserve Zotero's notes coding on .doc files) instead of "reference marks" (the one where Zotero's note formatting code will get lost if you save the document as a .doc file). The "reference marks" option appears grey and unavailable for activation on the "Preferences" dialog popup (apparently, only those citation styles that do not include footnotes seem to have the "reference marks" option available). Of course I can select "Save references on document" - but that won't prevent note coding getting lost after saving the document as .doc file. The previously inserted notes will still be there after reopening the .doc files - but merely as current, manually inserted notes, which the Zotero plugin won't be able to recognize as Zotero's references, so one won't be able to update, synchronize or correct them with Zotero anymore (and they wont be reflected in a Zotero generated bibliography in the document, either). This being so, I'm forced to choose: either I work with a note citation style, but then I must use .odt files, or I use .doc document format, but then I can't have my citations as footnotes on the document.

So, here is my question: Is there any citation style wich features footnotes but which can be stored as markers in .doc text files, without Zotero's citation format coding getting lost? Thanks for your help!
  • No, sorry. This is a limitation of LibreOffice, not Zotero: it can't write bookmarks to footnotes. I'd recommend working in .odt with reference marks and just sharing copies of your documents saved to .doc