Is there a way to put Springer Basic into footnotes?

edited September 10, 2016
I'm editing my manuscript to be published as a monograph book with Springer. It's a legal text and Springer has a unique citation style for legal books that no other legal publisher uses. It's Springer Basic (author-date), but in footnotes rather than in-text. Springer, for some odd reason, just wants author-date in every single footnote, with no other bibliographic information, even the first time a source is cited.

Is there some way to tweak this with the existing style? Or does anyone know if a style package has been written that gives author-date in footnotes?

Many thanks!
  • Search for Springer styles here:
    http://Zotero.org/styles

If the Springer footnote style doesn't exist, it will be easier to adjust the Springer Basic style. Let us know.
  • Is this documented somewhere public? Especially if it's quick, we can likely just add the style
  • I am in the same position as csteer1. I would need the Springer Basic Style, yet with footnotes instead of author-date or numeric, brackets (as included in http://Zotero.org/styles). Is there a possibility to tweak the codes so that it gives author-date in footnotes?
  • What exactly do you mean “author-date in footnotes”?
  • Also, same question as above:
    Is this documented somewhere public? Especially if it's quick, we can likely just add the style
  • edited October 16, 2017
    Bwiernik: That was indeed not entirely clear, I meant to ask whether there is a way to have footnote numbers in the text which correlate with footnotes which refer to the name, date and page and a reference list in Springer Style Basic, instead of having author-date in the text (e.g. .Aa, 2017) or numbers within brackets in the text (e.g. [1]) followed by endnotes.

Adamsmith: Do you mean whether the code is online (which I don't have)? Or just examples of the different references (which I have). I also emailed Springer to see if there is a solution.
  • @HannaKUL adamsmith ask you: what journal use this style? Is a guide for author described this style available? We can prepare the style for this journal.
    This style is used by the publishing house "Springer". The reference instructions can be found in the following document: http://resource-cms.springer.com/springer-cms/rest/v1/content/3322/data/v5/Key+style+points.

On pages 10 and 11 you will find the Springer Basic Style. As mentioned before, this style is already included in Zotero, yet not with a footnote and reference-system as requested for legal texts.

Many thanks in advance.
  • Dear all,

I was wondering whether the Springer Basic style with footnotes will be added to the repository after all? Or whether I can do this myself? Otherwise I will have to start changing all of my footnotes manually.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
    Hanna
  • You haven’t answered the question. Is a footnote version of this style required by a journal somewhere, or is this just a personal preference?
    Here you can find the Springer instructions for authors who are publishing in law: https://www.ligue.org/uploads/documents/Cycle 2017/Springer Instructions for Authors_ Law.pdf.

As authors of a chapter in a forthcoming book on international law, we have been requested over e-mail to: (1) shorten the literature in the footnotes into name, year, page; and (2) include a reference list at the end of the chapter for which the reference style BASIC (first option in their KeyStylePoints) is used.

Is this sufficient, or can I provide you with more information?
    We have also received the following chapter as an example: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-19507-5_21/fulltext.html

In this article, the author seems to put the date in parentheses, e.g.: Ginsburg (1997), pp. 297–318.

• Okay. We can probably add this to the repository. Could you clarify with your editor/publisher whether the year should be in parentheses or not?
  • Many thanks in advance! I was just in touch with the publisher and they prefer to have the date in parentheses, e.g. Ginsburg (1997), pp. 297–318.
    Okay, style submitted:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/3049

It will likely appear on the Zotero Style Repository within a few days, but you can download it immediately here:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bwiernik/styles/3454bd956db7ca1ebedc03db058cfeaa65b86452/springer-basic-law.csl

Let me know if there are any issues.
    Many thanks in advance!
  • Great thanks. Submitted (see above).
  • I tried to copy-past the code into Zotero preferences > Tools: Style editor, but that did not really work out. I will just wait until it appears in the repository and then I will test it.

• To install the style, right-click on the second link above and save the file. Then add it to Zotero using the "+" button in the Cite pane of Zotero preferences.
  • Great - that worked out.

Just a couple of remarks:

- With respect to the footnotes:
    (1) could you kindly add p./pp./para. to the code? Now it just refers to the number itself;
    (2) could you kindly add a dot at the end of each footnote?;
    (3) only citations of books, book chapters, or journal articles in footnotes should be given in a shortened form. For the other sources, the normal Springer Basic style can be used in the footnote.

- With respect to the reference list/bibliography:
    (1) could you kindly include page numbers for books and book-sections? Now it just refers to the book, not to the specific pages. In addition, could you include p/pp before the relevant page, this time without a dot (as opposed to the footnotes));
    (2) could you kindly remove the dots after the references? (now there are sometimes dots, sometimes comma's, sometimes nothing);
    (3) the DOI number should not be included in article references;
    (4) Is there a way to only have the books, book chapters, or journal articles in the reference list and not all the other sources which should already have been cited in full in the footnotes?

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Hanna
    Footnotes:
    (1) Fixed.
    (2) Added.
    (3) I made this change.

Bibliography:
    (1) Book section should already show pages in this format. Please try the link again. Complete books don't have a page variable (reference to a specific page within a book would be shown in the footnotes, not the bibliography).
    (2) The Springer Basic style was a bit of a mess regarding its use of delimiters versus suffixes. I cleaned up this version of the style.
    (3) The guidelines you link to indicate that DOIs should be included, and we know that Springer strongly prefers them to be included in submitted manuscripts (they may not be included in the final publication, but Springer uses them for its citation linking systems).
    (4) That doesn't sound like the recommendation in the documentation you linked to above, though it does seem like what the example is doing. Can you confirm that is correct?

This is the current version of the style (expect for Bibliography 4):
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bwiernik/styles/1789ca847517361486b5818eb3f3bc2def041d67/springer-basic-law.csl

Edit: replaced link
  • Many thanks again. I just contacted the publisher and I will keep you up to date.
  • The publisher just confirmed that they prefer to only include the literature in the reference list. Thanks again!
  • @HannaKUL Do you have a link to the style guidelines hosted on the Springer website (rather than a third-party)? Or can the publisher provide you one?
  • I sent an email to the publisher on Monday but I have not received an answer so far. Hopefully I can provide you with the guidelines as soon as possible.
  • edited November 2, 2017
    The publisher informed me that the Springer's Key Style Points (as referred to above) is the only official guideline available, even for legal textbooks where the references have to be included in the footnotes instead of in the text itself.

They also confirmed that they prefer to only include literature in the reference list. The other sources can be cited in full in the footnotes and should not appear in the reference list.

I also asked whether "ibid"can be used when the same sources is used in two consecutive footnotes and they confirmed this.

Would you maybe be able to include these two changes in the Springer basic law style?

Many thanks in advance.
  • edited November 2, 2017
    The only-literature Reference list is already part of the style at http://zotero.org/styles.

I can add ibid to the style.
  • Thank you!

I also just noted the following issues:

- If multiple reports are cited in one footnote, there is no ";"in between them (sometimes a comma is used, sometimes nothing at all). Also between different cases, a comma is used instead of a “;”). Could you kindly change the style so it always uses a “;” in between different sources?;

- Could case law be cited as follows:

ICJ, Case Concerning Military and Paramilitary Activities in and Against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States), Merits, Judgment of 27 June 1986, [1986] ICJ Rep 14, paras. 215, 218.

= Court, Name of the case (I included “Judgment of 27 June 1986" in the name itself), [Issue] Name of the jurisprudence journal, Number, para./paras.

Instead of as follows:

Case Concerning Military and Paramilitary Activities in and Against Nicaragua (Nicaragua v. United States), Merits, Judgment, ICJ Rep 14, paras. 215, 218

- If I list sources in a certain order, Zotero puts them automatically in alphabetical order. Most of the time, this is not an issues, but sometimes it is. Can I do something about this, except from changing it manually?

Many thanks in advance!
  • A few questions:

1) If you cite two journal articles by same author in one footnote, should they be cited as:
    Jones (1996, 2010) OR Jones (1996); Jones (2010)

2) Are legislation, bills, and patents cited correctly currently?

3) The style defaults to sorting them in alphabetical order. Should I remove that so it always shows them in the order entered? Otherwise, if the alphabetical remains, you can re-order by dragging the citations to the correct order in Insert Citation window.
  • My apologies for the late response (holidays). I got in touch with Springer to answer your questions:

1) Jones (1996); Jones (2010) would be correct. If there are two article of one author in one year it would be Jones (1996a); Jones (1996b).

2) I am not entirely sure since I did not use legislation, bills and patents in the relevant book chapter.

3) There is no alphabetical order needed in the footnotes so this rule can be removed.