A few changes to my customised style

Hi,

Apologies, but I am very inexperienced with editing styles, so need your help to incorporate the following changes into my style (I don't know how to send you the entire csl code sheet, but it is a slightly amended version of the "Harvard - University of West London" style):

- I would like to have a separate bibliography (all types of texts), and a separate filmography (only films) - how do I separate only one type for the bibliography?

- The bibliography displays the DOI number for journal articles, which I want to be omitted (I found a discussion thread on this one, but would like to make sure the code mentioned there fits well into my style sheet).

- The bibliography displays the "series" field for books, which I want to be omitted.

- The bibliography does not mention "conference paper" for conference papers, which I would like to add

- In the body of the text, books that are edited collections are cited with "(eds.)", which I would like to omit (this is when I am citing the book in general, or its introduction, NOT a contributor's chapter)

Many thanks and apologies for the long list. Any help on any point is greatly appreciated.

• Any idea about the removal of "eds" from citations and the adding of "conference paper"? (my last two points)
  • the eds. are "label" and likely appear in the author macro.
    For conference paper, you'd do something like
    <choose>
    <if type="paper-conference">
    <text value="conference paper"/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    -

The series is "collection-title".
    This thread has a discussion about how to sort by item type:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16531/sort-bibliography-by-reference-type
  • Thank you.

I found the editor one here, but it only affects the bibliography, not in-text citations (which I want to remove the "ed" from:

• you need to put <code> tags around code examples
  • Sorry, I found it.

How can I post a piece of code here, so it doesn't keep disappearing from the comment window?
  • edited September 8, 2016
    Put the code tags that adamsmith mentioned around the code
  • see my comment above it needs to be preceded by the <code&gt tag and end with a </code> tag.
  • @adamsmith

I want to implement the DOI removal code you suggest on this site:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4884/doi-reference-in-apa-style/p1

But I cannot see it. All codes are blanked out. It is not an issue of my browser, as I tried with others.
  • Yes, that's a problem with the new forum software (see here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/62328/restore-forum-categories#latest )
    Nothing I can do about that. Removing DOIs (which you really shouldn't do: a DOI is the single most useful piece of information you can include in a citation) is pretty simple, though: you just remove the line that includes variable="DOI"
  • Ok. Thank you. Apologies. I am completely new to coding.

Can I remove this entire macro to prevent series title and number in the bibliography, without messing up anything:

<macro name="collection">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text variable="collection-title"/>
    <text variable="collection-number"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

Also from the following code, can I remove the line "label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=")" without messing up anything (in order to omit the "ed" in in-text citations:

<macro name="editor-short">
    <names variable="editor">
    <name form="short"/>
    <et-al font-style="italic"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    </names>
    </macro>

Regarding DOI, this is the bit:

<macro name="location">
    <choose>
    <if variable="DOI">
    <text variable="DOI" prefix="doi:"/>
    </if>
    <else-if variable="URL">
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

Do I change it to this?

<macro name="location">
    <choose>
    <if variable="URL">
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

Many thanks for your help.
  • 1. Yes, though you should then also remove all instances of <text macro="collection"/>
    2. Yes, that's fine
    3. Much simpler and the same to just do
    <macro name="location">
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </macro>
  • If you want to include the URL, your best bet would be to use a DOI URL if available, because those will be the most stable.

Change
    prefix="doi:"

to

prefix="http://doi.org/"
  • Thanks bwiernik. Will try.

@adamsmith:

Thanks a lot for confirming. Where do I insert this code:

<choose>
    <if type="paper-conference">
    <text value="conference paper"/>
    </if>
    </choose>

• Wherever you want the style to say conference paper.
  • Ok, everything worked excellently. Thank you for your continuous support adamsmith.