"The cursor is not presently within a Zotero citation."

On several occasions when trying to edit a Zotero citation I've gotten the message "The cursor is not presently within a Zotero citation. To edit a citation, please click one, then try again."

I'm confident that the citation was created with Zotero (just seconds earlier), and I'm confident that the cursor is within the citation. I've even tried moving the cursor to various places within the citation.

The problem is 100% repeatable in multiple documents and with any entry from my database, but only at certain locations within those documents. E.g., if I insert a citation into footnote 30, it works fine. If I insert the exact same citation into footnote 31, I can't edit it with Zotero. I can't for the life or me figure out a pattern or cause for this strange behavior. Even weirder, if I insert the same citation into footnote 32, I run into the same problem with that footnote, but now the citation in footnote 31 becomes editable. So only the last citation in the sequence has a problem.

To make it even more mystifying, I have copied a problem section from one of these documents into a new Word doc and have been unable to reproduce the problem in the exact same locations. However, if I copy the entire contents of the document into a new document, the problem persists.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium, Word 2007, Firefox 3.1 Beta 3, and Zotero 1.5 Beta 2.

Has anyone experience behavior like this? Would it be helpful if I sent my Word doc in?
  • I'm experiencing the same problem, but with Zotero 1.0.9 and MS Word Plugin 1.0b3 (and Win XP SP2, Word 2003, Firefox 3.0.8).

In my document, the last citation (in this case, footnote 46) can't be edited, and I get the "The cursor is not presently..." box. If I add a citation after it, then footnote 46 becomes editable and footnote 47 has the same problem.

Peace,
    Alex
  • I also got the same problem, obviously there is no fix pattern but mostly multiple sources hit the problem. If the multiple sources appeared within a Table, the problem definitely appear.

My Zotero is 1.05, MS Word Plubin 1.0b4, Word 2003, Firefox 3.0.9, Win XP SP2.