How to display translations of book titles

I have to write a bibliography for Russian books and want to show English translations in the bibliography. Where is the best field to put the English translation given that the Russian title occupies the Title Field?
  • Juris-M is designed for that. https://juris-m.github.io
  • Can I do this using just vanilla Zotero - in which field is it best to put the english translation of the title and then the author?
  • I think the Rights field is sometimes used for hacking in ordinary field content, but I'm not sure. Zotero doesn't have a way of handling name variants as far as I know.
  • You could hack this by entering the title into any field in vanilla Zotero, but you would need to customize each citation file you use to display that. If you need to do this with any frequency, using Juris-M will be a much more pleasant experience for you.
  • The two ways to hack this into Zotero would be
    a) what bwiernik suggests, i.e. just adding it to the title field or
    b) adding it to Extra (Rights wouldn't work as it can't be cited) and the modifying the citation style accordingly.

But yeah, getting authors right is basically impossible and if you need any flexibility with how title's and their translations are displayed, you'll want to use juris-m (which started out as Multilingual Zotero).
  • I have had a look through a number of book bibliographies to see how they are displayed and one convention is to add the English translation after the Russian original in [.....] square brackets. This is done for both title and author so I will add this information into the Title field and Author field (using the single box instead of split boxes) as any easy way round this.
  • I will have a look at juris-m for the future but need to get on with the current project. Can you transfer data from Zotero to juris-m?
  • juris-m syncs with a Zotero account, so transferring data is easy, yes. I can also convert an existing Zotero database when you install it.