Persisten error message after having re-installed Zotero plug-in for Word on new laptop

Dear Zotero users,
I have just re-installed Zotero and the Word plug-in for my new Dell [Latitude E5470] laptop and keep getting this error message [see below] coming up when I'm trying to bring in a reference into the document I'm working on. The Zotero icon does appear in the upper right hand corner of the toolbar as per my old system, so I assume that it has been installed. I even restarted my computer and also did a fresh download of the plug-in, but still this error message appears. Please, if there is anyone who can help me with this, I would be most grateful as I'm in the process of having to submit my work for an urgent upcoming deadline.
Much appreciated in advance!
John

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\jrvb\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iutetznb.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/jrvb/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/iutetznb.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]'[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\jrvb\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iutetznb.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/jrvb/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/iutetznb.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]
  • Zotero's Word integration doesn't work with the 64-bit version of Firefox. Either install 32-bit Firefox or use Zotero Standalone for Word integration.
  • Thanks for this suggestion, Adam. Do I first have to un-install the current 64-bit version before I install the 32-bit version, or will the installation of the latter override what is currently on my laptop?
  • I'm pretty sure just installing 32-bit is all you need to do.
  • I've installed the Standalone version but it still give the error message below. Is there another 32-bit version that may be different to the Standalone version? if so, can you please send me the URL to this.

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\jrvb\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iutetznb.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/jrvb/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/iutetznb.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]'[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\jrvb\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iutetznb.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/jrvb/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/iutetznb.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]
  • That's still trying to connect to Firefox. You have Standalone running when you're trying this? (There's only one Standalone version for Windows and it's 32-bit).

If so, do you see your Zotero library in Standalone?
  • Hi Adam,
    I've tried it [opening Zotero Standalone] whilst working in Word, but it only works partially. It allows me to do just one citation at a time and then it comes up with this error message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\Zotero.exe
    You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?

Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "No" will erase your changes.

It doesn't matter whether I click Yes or No, nothing happens and I then have to completely go out of Zotero Standalone and come back again to repeat this whole one-at-a-time exercise.

Needless to say this is very frustrating. The previous system on my old laptop worked like a dream. If there are any other solutions, please let me know.
  • Could you start by trying this in an fresh empty document? That error message shouldn't have anything to do with which Zotero version you're using.
  • Yes, that seems to work fine! But, reverting back to my 'old' document that I'm working on the same problem keeps coming up. What now?
  • 64-bit Firefox compatibility added in version 3.5.6 of the Word plugin: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/263588/#Comment_263588
  • Thanks a lot for letting me know, Dan! I've tried this new version 3.5.6 a few times and it seems to work so far. Will let you know if I experience any further hiccups.