stored files

Hi,

I prefer to manually download and organise the actual sources for my citations, so I have two questions:

When I gather sources, I want to retain only the reference (metadata), not attach any files (PDFs, links, snapshots etc.). Am I right to assume that unticking "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items" will prevent any file storage?

I have inadvertently gathered a high amount of files in the "storage" folder in the Zotero directories folder (which are actually duplicates of the files I had already gathered in my own repository, but not indexed them with Zotero). Can I delete the contents of this "storage" folder without the indexed data in Zotero being affected?

Many thanks.
  • edited August 31, 2016
    On the first question, kind of -- you'll not get PDFs, but I do think you'll get some snapshots.

You can delete contents of the storage folder without affecting Zotero data, yes (edit: you should also disable file syncing, so the attachments don't sync back down from the server, should they be there.).
  • Ok, thank you.
  • You can also uncheck "Automatically take snapshots..." to disable snapshots.
  • Great. Thank you. I assume this will get rid of the links.