"Style Request: [WWU Münster Medizinische Fakultät]"

Dear Zotero-community,

I have already tried to edit some styles to get the correct one, but always failed at some point. So here, the hopefully correctly edited example citations:

1. Campbell JL, Pedersen OK (2007) The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comp Polit Stud 40: 307–332

2. Mares I (2001) Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers? In: Hall PA, Soskice D (Eds) Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage. Oxford University Press, New York pp 184–213

The inline citation should appear like this (1)
and the bibliography should be in alphabetical order

If there are several authors, all should be named, no et al.

Here is a link to the requirements of my university (pdf document, p.3): https://campus.uni-muenster.de/fileadmin/einrichtung/fakultaet/dekanat/promotionen/Ausfuehrungsbestimmungen.pdf

Unfortunately it is written in German, but there are example citations as well on page 3 and it basically says that citations should be like Index medicus, which I know has been replaced by now.

I have also tried to edit some styles myself, which I deposit in a dropbox right now, because maybe it is less work to edit them than to create a new style:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jhtl5z0vh36zo8z/AAAwbSkPkHY5bfShOxCO_Obfa?dl=0

The one called „WWU-Muenster.csl“ is an edited „Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America style“ that lacks sorting by an alphabetical order. Unfortunately the example bibliography in the citations styles editor is a little misleading as it pretends to be alphabetical except for the last entry.

The one called: „Annual-reviews-changed“ still has a dot behind the names groups: „FHC.“ which I don't need and behind the year (1953). which I do not need as well. So: Watson JD, Crick FHC. (1953). Molecular structure of nucleic acids; a structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid. Nature 171 :737–38 should become: Watson JD, Crick FHC (1953) Molecular structure of nucleic acids; a structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid. Nature 171 :737–38
Furthermore the Website citation would need an „accessed: date“ section as well

I hope my attempts to create the style myself are helpful.

And is there a documentation anywhere where you can look up how to encode for example an alphabetical sorting? Or where is the dot as a group seperator encoded in the „Annual reviews-changed“ document. I really looked into the written code and compared it to other ones, but actually did not find it. So, I was really willing to solve it...

Thank you very much in advance for your help and labour! If the style is correctly edited afterwards, we can maybe deposit it into the style repository. That will help other students at my university as well - lots of them are now working with other citation programs where this style is already implemented.

So thanks a lot for your help!

Manu
  • As https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles says, we unfortunately don't have the capacity to help with university- or department-specific styles.

But I'm happy to give you some pointers to fixing what you already have. Starting at the WWU style from Dropbox, if you insert
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>

right after
    <bibliography second-field-align="flush" et-al-min="" et-al-use-first="1" delimiter-precedes-et-al="always"> that'll sort the bibliography by author, then by date.
    (You can do this in the virtual editor, but it's not super intuitive: you have to insert a "sort" node at the "bibliography" level and then isert the author macro and the issued variable as nodes into that)
  • When you edit the style, be sure to change its name/ID as instructed above. Else the next time styles are updated your new style will be overwritten.
  • Inserting the lines worked and right now it looks as if the style fits. Four lines that make the difference ;)
    Thank you both for your help! :)
  • edited October 11, 2017
    @salut
    I've made the style now and it's available via the repository: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:westfalische-wilhelms-universitat-munster-medizinische-fakultat

Let us know if you run into any errors and we'll get it fixed.