Adding tags to a group library

Hello to Everybody.

My question:
Is there a way to tag files (texts with attachments), which are in a group library?
When I go to the tab "tag" the option "add tags" won't show up.

I know, that I can add tags through the "edit" function from zotero.org while working in my browser, but that'll take forever...

My current idea for a work-around was to duplicate the texts from the group library to my own library, add tags to those copied files, delete the files from the group library and upload the edited/tagged files to the group library.
The only problem I am running into is, that the attachments to those texts won't be copied and I have to attach them manually. Since I am working with around 3000 files, that is not an option for me.

PLease;(
I need some help.

Greets
Pascal
  • Tags in group libraries work just like they do in personal libraries.

Can you make other edits to the items in the group (say, change a title or add a new item)?
  • Yes, I can edit the items, and I can also edit the tag while beeing on zotero.org, but not in the standalone or browser add-on.

I also want to add tags for multiple items at the same time, butt haven't figured out how to do that as well.
  • So first let me make sure I understand what you want to do correctly:
    You simply want to tag Zotero items, right?
    Or do you want to tag attachments but not their parent items?

Then, to be absolutely certain we don't talk past each other: Could you confirm specifically that you can edit items in the group _in Zotero Standalone/the Firefox add-on_?

To restate, in a normally working group where you have editing privileges, you can add tags exactly like you do in your personal library, so if that's not the case, we need to troubleshoot what's not working correctly.

The most likely scenario is that your editing privileges haven't synced to Zotero Standalone. If we're absolutely certain that's not the case, we can look at other things not working (I'd start by restarting Zotero in that case), but I've never seen this be an issue.
  • Yes, I just want to tag items in a group library.

I can edit the items while being on zotero.org, not so sure about being able to edit on zotero standalone or browser add-on.

So I guess the editing privileges might not have been synced correctly.
    How can I resync or solve this issue?

I restarted multiple times and it sadly didn't do anything for me.
  • I can edit the items while being on zotero.org, not so sure about being able to edit on zotero standalone or browser add-on.
    there's no reason to be uncertain about this. Can you, e.g., edit the title of an item in the group in question in Zotero Standalone or not?

If not, the first things to check would be
    1.) Your syncs are going through successfully: Manually sync by clicking on the round green sync arrow, wait until it stops rotating, and hover over it. It'll tell you the time of your last successful sync.

2.) Your syncing with the same username you're using here -- i.e. make sure you have Pascal T. as a username in the sync tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • edited August 24, 2016
    No, in Stand-alone I can't.
    And exactly that is my problem.

It's syncing successfully.

As far as I can tell, all the preferences are dialed in correctly as well.
  • meaning you're syncing with Pascal T. set as the username?
    What's the group name in question?
  • edited August 24, 2016
    Yes, I am using Pascal T. as my username and the fitting password.

Sorry, I don't really understand your question.
    I am legally obliged not to tell anybody about the project that I am working on and the name of the group is linked to that.

Why would the group name be relevant for a problem solution anyhow?
  • Because it'd allow devs to check what's going on with your edit permissions for that group.
    Unless you belong to multiple groups, Dan should be able to check either way, though.

@Dan -- could you take a look?
  • Yeah, it's really just that one group I am working with.

Thank you very much adamsmith for your help so far!
    I really appreciate it.
  • Library editing is set to "admins" in that group, and you're not an admin.
  • @Dan -- any explanation why they'd be able to edit online? Otherwise that'd have been the first thing I'd have checked.
  • Ok, guys, that's the worst scenario...
    Thank you Dan and Adam for your help.
    I'll contact my admin now.
  • @Dan -- any explanation why they'd be able to edit online?
    I'd guess that Pascal was testing editing in the personal library, or logged in from a different account. The editing toolbar shouldn't even show up when you're a member in a library that only allows admins to edit (and doesn't, for me).
  • Does this mean members need full editing rights to add/remove tags to group items? Any workaround where editing rights for actual citation data is limited to Admins but things like tags can be edited by any group member?

Thinking of this in a scenario where a group has hundreds of members and providing everyone with full edit rights is risky.
  • Any workaround where editing rights for actual citation data is limited to Admins but things like tags can be edited by any group member?
    not currently, no. (There are general plans for more finely grained permissions for groups for exactly those types of scenarios, but I have no idea where those are in terms of implementation/priority).