Highlighted citation no longer exists in Zotero library database...

I can see from prior posts that others have had the same problem I'm currently experiencing but the suggested solutions are not working for me.
Problem: when I try to insert a citation, I get the following error message: "The no longer exists in Zotero library database. Do you want to substitute the item?, If, I click 'yes' and try to select the item, which I CAN see in my library, I get the following error messgae: "Zotero experienced and error updating your document. An item in this document is missing from your Zotero library".

I've checked to make sure my syncing is working and that the library exists in my Zotero account on the web account.

I previously found a page of advice on how to troubleshot this issue in a response to a similar query earlier in 2016 but can't seem to locate that advice now.

I'm writing a PhD thesis so resolution of this problem is critical for me. Any advice is much appreciated.

Mary
  • edited August 10, 2016
    This may help. My experience is not precisely yours but my suggestion should do no harm.

Under Preferences : Advanced : Files and Folders :

Click the 'Check Database Integrity' button.
    Does your database pass the test?

The other thing that will not help with your problem but can help to identify its nature is to start a completely new document and try to insert the citation that causes the problem in your doctoral thesis. Does it work properly in a new document?
  • If the database passes the integrity test (which I'd assume it will), my best recommendation would be to just delete the citation in question manually and re-insert it.
    If that doesn't help, your best bet is
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents