Style Error: Australian Guide to Legal Citation (AGLC)

Hello,

I believe that the Item Type 'Blog Post' is rendering incorrectly in the AGLC at present.

The relevant style rule is found at 16.15.7 of the AGLC 3rd Edition (http://www.unswlawjournal.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/aglc3edn.pdf)

The output is currently rendering as:

Ted Underwood, ‘What Can Topic Models of PMLA Teach Us About the History of Literary Scholarship?’ .

There are no italics in the output, nor the 'title of post' on... format as required by the rule.

I hope someone out there can confirm/help. Thank you in advance!

David
  • I note also that the footnoting is incorrect when displaying the author's name in all respects. See example page 5 of the AGLC (3e) 'Karen J Alter, Establishing the Supremacy of European Law: The Making of an International Rule of Law in Europe (Oxford University Press, 2001) 182-91.'
    The default in Zotero is to display the footnote as twin fields, i.e. 'Alter, Karen J' which is incorrect for footnotes and should only be used in the bibliography. To have the footnotes display correctly it is necessary to go to each footnote in Zotero and change the author field manually to a single field. Is there some method by which I can alter the template myself to produce the desired accordance with the AGLC?
  • Hello Bigling,

I have not been able to replicate this issue. And I'm not 100% sure I follow the issue.

My footnotes are rendering correctly e.g.:

Footnote:
    *William B Runciman et al, ‘CareTrack: Assessing the Appropriateness of Health Care Delivery in Australia’ (2012) 197(2) Medical Journal of Australia.

When you write that the:

"default in Zotero is to display the footnote as twin fields, i.e. 'Alter, Karen J' which is incorrect for footnotes and should only be used in the bibliography"...

are you referring to the way in which the bibliographical data are displayed in Zotero standalone itself - ie where the data is input or edited?

If so, then the correct approach is to enter the correct data into the relevant field - and the style will take care of presentation of the footnote and bibliography . This means, that authors should be entered and appear within Zotero as "Surname, Firstname" (e.g. Runciman, William B for the reference above). When a footnote or reference list entry is created in your Word document then this will be presented in the correct form.

Two other potential issues:
    1. There were some older versions of the AGLC which were made on the Style Repository - one was called AGLC3 etc for example, there should now be only one, named 'Australian Guide to Legal Citation' (https://www.zotero.org/styles/australian-guide-to-legal-citation)

2. Oftentimes input issues can create incorrectly formatted references. For example, in the bibliographical information for the relevant reference, check to make sure that the author information is entered (as two fields) in the correct field - ie it should appear as "Surname, Firstname" (e.g. Runciman, William B for the reference above. If entered as "William B, Runciman" then this will reverse the output as described.
  • thanks David. Yes, I'd bet on 2. as the problem here. I still have blogpost on my list of todos. sorry it's taking a while.
  • Thank you for your help, my mistake was a combination of issues as mentioned as well as using the 'create bibliography' function in Zotero for Firefox rather than the 'add/edit citation' function in Microsoft Word to produce footnotes. In legal papers it is all about the footnotes - the bibliography is almost an afterthought. It was not until I went to http://library.athenaeum.edu/c.php?g=30843&p=193251#s-lib-ctab-1216841-1 that the method of footnoting using Zotero was explained.
  • Good news that this has been solved Bigling. Hope that the AGLC style continues to serve well.

@adamsmith you are an amazing Zotero community member, and your efforts on this style make such a difference to the lives of the Australian legal community. I know we all thank you for it!