Handling multiple chapters in a book

Heya,

So I'm two weeks into my PhD and Zotero is such a huge help. I've been advocating it around the department and have already had several people referred to me for info on it.

Anyways, I've got an edited book and I want to create listings for multiple chapters from the book for my citations. I know I can use the 'book section' feature, but I was wondering in terms of organising them in Zotero, is there a 'cleaner' option rather than having a separate listing for each chapter?

What seems to make the most sense in my (occasionally convoluted) mind, is to have multiple layers in the search pane (if that makes sense. I don't know the appropriate terminology for this, I'm sorry). Currently, there are two levels (that I'm aware of), the first is the source, and the second is any attachments or notes. So as an example (this is from a book I'm reading, couldn't think of a popular example, sorry):

New Media Poetis (ed. Morris & Swiss)
> Link to Amazon listing
> Note: [p.005] "Introduction" - Morris - "Technotexts can be considered..."
> Note: [p.165] "Vniverse" - Strickland - "The volta itself takes a new turn..."
> Note: [p.250] "Beyond Taxonomy" Talan Memmott - "Taxonomadism..."

It would be really nice to have many layers so that I could better organize notes and such. As an alternative to the example above:

New Media Poetics (ed. Morris & Swiss)
> Link to Amazon listing
> Book Section: "Introduction" (Morris), pages 1 - 30
    > Note: [p.5] "Technotexts can be considered..."
> Book Section: "Vniverse" (Strickland), pages 152 - 167
    > Note: [p.165] "The volta itself takes a new turn..."
> Book Section: "Beyond Taxonomy" (Memmott), pages 249 - 258
    > Note: [p.250] "Taxonomadism..."

So then my Zotero library is tidier with all my book sections collated under one source, notes can be more easily arranged according to their text, and I can still create citations for specific chapters without having to create them manually.

Or is this over-complicating things? I do have a tendency to over-complicate in some complex way to try and simplify things (Rube Goldberg comes to mind).

Thoughts? Work-arounds?

PS: I tried doing a search before posting this, but couldn't really find anything except a discussion from 2006, so my apologies if this is a repeat.
  • Awesome! Thanks.
  • @sean

I am wondering if the 'Hierarchical Ontology' structure will make possible the following scenario, which I have been hoping for:

--I create a reference for an edited book, and I verify all the publishing info, etc

--I want to create a new reference for one of the chapters of the book (by a different author)

--I want my new reference to include automatically the publication information that I already entered for the main book entry. In other words, I want to be able to left-click on the existing book reference, and choose something like "Create new section reference from this reference" (only worded more clearly).

Right now the workaround seems to be to create a duplicate, change the item type, move the book title text to the appropriate box, and then enter the new section information.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks
  • I am wondering if the 'Hierarchical Ontology' structure will make possible the following scenario...
    Yes