Error messages - Impossible to add citations

Hi all,

I am going bonkers because my paper deadline is drawing in on me and Zotero has started refusing to add a single citation. I get various messages, but the most common one is that the reference I wanted to add no longer exists (I restarted and checked and they're definitely all there!). If I try to add ones that I used even an hour ago with no trouble, I get the same error. Selecting 'report errors' gives me what I've pasted below (though the error message that flashes on scree (not selectable text) is rather different). Can anyone help?!

[unrelated errors removed — D.S.]
  • Hi again - I thought it might help to tell you what the on-screen error says:

file"/Users/robinwyatt/Documents/Mircosoft User Data/Word Script menu Items/Zotero/Zotero.py",line 635 in endElement

self.currentCitation.setText(self.textContent, True)File"./MacWord.py.",line 504,in setText

file_name=RTF_TEMP_BOOKMARK)

file"build/bdist.macosx-10.5-i386/egg/appscript/reference.py",line 439, in_call_

raiseCommandError(self,(args,kargs),e)

commandError:CommandError-1708:Application could not handle this command.

Failed command:app(u'Applications/mircosoftOffice 2008/MicrosoftWord.app').insert_file(file_name=u'Macintosh HD:private:var:folders:YF:YF7kasvXGYKlciALQrRdbk+++TI:-Tmp-:tmpWsdEQc.rf'

file_range=u'ZOTERO_TEMP_BOOKMARK',at=app(u'/applications/microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app').active_document.fileds[2].result_range)
  • Nobody ever got back to him...
    I went looking for this sort of error because I was also perplexed by my inability to add a citation. Looking at this hodge podge of error messages kind of confirms what I was thinking: you can't add or edit citations when a sync is in progress, I take it?
    Unlike OP, I am not in panic mode, but I am curious: is there any way to cancel a sync, short of restarting Firefox? Even when you're not on a deadline, there are (often) times when a sync gets hung up, and you might have tabs you would prefer not to close before adding a citation, etc.
    Thanks!
  • edited May 20, 2010
    you can't add or edit citations when a sync is in progress, I take it?
    That's certainly not the case. Generally speaking, you shouldn't try to interpret error messages. (This is partly why we prefer for people not to post actual error messages unless they know exactly what the relevant message is.)

If you have a problem, just report it and include a Report ID.
  • edited May 20, 2010
    Also, this is an old thread that quite possibly wouldn't even apply to the current version, so start a new thread and just report your issue normally.
This discussion has been closed.