missmatch between users and cloud

After cleaning up a lot of duplicates I have a missmatch between 2 users and the group library on the website.

The website has a total of 14777 items, user 1 has 14776 and user 2 has 14955. Both users have completed syncing without errors.
  • What's the current count you see, including child items? The group also has a few thousand items in the trash, so it might be worth emptying that to make sure those items aren't being erroneously counted on one computer.

These should stay in sync, of course. We're not aware of any reasons this would happen, but the next major version of Zotero, which will be out soon, will provide more options for reconciling the database with the server. In the meantime, if someone is really seeing fewer items than there are on the server — and you're sure they're not getting a sync error, are in the same group, are looking in the right place — they could use Restore from Zotero Server to replace their database with all items from the server. That will apply to all their libraries, though, and would wipe out any unsynced local changes.
  • The problem is actually that one user has MORE than the server.

Local computer 1: 14993 items, 567 duplicates, 2417 items in the trash
    Server: 14815 items, duplicates (not visible) , 2616 items in the trash
    Local computer 2: 14814 items, 236 duplicates, 4659 items in the trash

Local computer 2 did most of the duplicate merging (there use to be 5000 or so). But local computer 1 did some too and at some point there were some conflicts.

Right now, both computers sync without errors.
  • Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, please say why you retain so many items in the trash. Thanks.
  • Never have bothered to look into the trash. Wrongly thought they would be deleted automatically after X days. No real reason to keep them there.
  • Although it probably has nothing to do with your problem, having that many items in your trash can slow things down -- how much slower can be better described by the experts here.
  • Yes, items in the trash are automatically deleted after 30 days by default. There's no need to worry about them in normal usage. But in this case I would recommend emptying them to simplify things and seeing what the counts are then.

Beyond that, what I said above applies.
  • Thanks. I'll try that.
  • Emptied trash in computer 1 and computer 2 and now numbers match!

Why did the trash not empty itself after 30 days?