Import the citation style I customised from EndNote

Hi people,

I spent hours customising my own citation style in EndNote some years ago and tweaked it over time. I can't seem to get my head around the process for doing this now in Zotero. Could anyone tell me if I can simply import my style from EndNote? Or if I can't do it directly, is there a file somewhere that I can open and copy and paste into Zotero somewhere to generate the style rules in this? Apologies for my ignorance about how such things work. Some guidance as to how to do this as quickly and painlessly as possible would be genuinely appreciated.

Warm wishes,

Robin
  • Yes, you can (try to) import your style from Endnote:
    Go to preferences -> styles
    click on the plus on the bottom right
    as a default zotero will look for native .csl files, there is a menu somewhere on the bottom where you can select endnote styles.
    Go to the location of your .ens file and open it.
    Zotero asks you if you want to install that file.

However, there have been problems with that in the past:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4521/selfmade-endnote-styles-import-error/?Focus=19435#Comment_19435

Depending on how complex your style is, it might be worthwhile to look for a similar .csl style and modify it.
  • Note that this is only possible in Zotero 1.5, not 1.0.
  • Thanks, guys. I just followed the above suggestion. It seemed to import fine and I was overjoyed. Then I tried to add a citation in my document and I simply got {Zotero}, not the reference I was expecting. I know that happens for the first second or so normally. But it just doesn't seem to convert to the full reference. Any ideas?
  • After this occurs, send in an error report using Report Errors (under the gear menu) and post the Report ID here.
  • Thanks Dan. But where is the gears menu? I can't seem to see that.

Just now, I tried again. I added one citation and it looked fine (except that et al. was not in italics, like I had it in EndNote). Then I generated a bibliography, and again it looked fine (except that now the abstract had found its way in! I need to stop that happening). But then I tried to add another citation and I got an error report (not selectable text to copy and paste here, though). Then I tried again and it told me my reference no longer existed (not true - I could see it right there in the library). I clicked 'yes' to select an alternative and the same thing happened! Minor chaos, it seems... .
  • the gears menu is the litte grey gear on the top - third symbol from the left.
    It has a black arrow next to it, click that arrow and select "Report Errors"
  • Thanks, Adam. I'm not sure why I didn't see that the first time! Here you are:

[JavaScript Error: "window.top.XULBrowserWindow is null" {file: "chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/sidebarUtils.js" line: 87}]

[JavaScript Error: "aios_WW.activeWindow.toggleSidebar is not a function" {file: "chrome://aios/content/_lib.js" line: 594}]
  • Here you are a similar error 2095884444