zotero won't work in long document

Hi,
I am working on a long dissertation and am supposed to turn it in very soon. I have been a happy Zotero user for years, but now that I have all my chapters together in one long document (all in the same style), I can't manage to refresh the citations. I can't generate a bibliography either. I click on refresh or add a bibliography and nothing happens. (I'm using Standalone.)
I tried to copy and paste everything in a new document and Zotero couldn't set the doc preferences. Everything works fine with shorter documents; the problem only occurs in long ones. This is the ID I got: 1388468995.
I would really appreciate some help; what should I do to make this work?
Thanks!
Juliette
  • Are you pasting into a new, empty document? If so, try setting a citation styles there first, before pasting, see if that helps.
  • edited July 14, 2016
    Thanks for answering me.
    I set a citation style in a new doc and then pasted the text. When I try to edit a citation or refresh, Standalone shows up and nothing happens. I don't get any error report. But Zotero is unresponsive. - And then it freezes and I have to restart it.
  • how long have you waited when it starts getting unresponsive?
  • I retried it, setting a citation style in a new document, pasting the whole text, and clicking just once on "Edit citation".
    After 8 minutes where nothing happened, I got this error report ID: 10 83907733.
  • @Dan -- what's the error report?

@juliette -- I know you say shorter papers work, but does every individual paper work?
  • No errors in there, but it's 4.0.29.5. Juliette, it probably won't make a difference, but you should upgrade to Zotero 4.0.29.10 from the download page. (Auto-updating to the latest Mac Standalone version is currently broken.)
  • Hi,
    I just found your chat and would like to add my very similar question.
    I have also a quite long document of a dissertation. To add and edit citations works fine but when I try to add a bibliography the window switches to standalone and nothing else happens.
    I tried to copy past just half a page of text in a new document and there s the same phanomenom.
    I have to say that its really long ago that I inserted a bibliography somewere with zotero, so its possibile that this problem is kind of old.
    I tried to update, but zotero seems to be actual and I am a mac/word/standalone-user
    Thank you!
    Marie
This discussion has been closed.