Synch worked fine then quit

I've been using Zotero for a long time and synching with no problem. Now I see that the library has not synched for 106 days, and there is a red alert that says "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." My internet connection is fine. 275.1MB of my 300MB are in use, but I don't think anything near the remaining 24.9.MB would be needed for the additional documents to be synched -- besides, if the problem were lack of space, I would expect the system to just say so.
Any Idea what might have gone wrong & how to fix it?
  • Yes, this has nothing to do with storage (yes, you'd get a better error message and also data sync wouldn't stop even if storage were exhausted).

We'd need an error report ID after a manually triggered sync:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
    and if you can also provide a debug ID for a failed sync:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Both the error reporting and the debug reporting resulted in an error message to the effect that the server response was invalid. They did provide text in a pop-up window, but gave the error when I tried to send them to the server. I could try copying to .txt files & EMail them if that would help.
  • Check this first:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/ssl_certificate_error

If that doesn't help, yes, send error report to support@zo..ero.org with a link to this thread.
  • I couldn't find any report ID number or debug ID number.
  • (is that a reply to my last post or did we overlap?)
  • There is no reference at all to "Site Verified by." Perhaps the communication is being intercepted by our internal security provisions. I will check with our IT folks before proceeding any further with Zotero. Thank you for your help. I will return to this forum after discussing this with IT.
  • To unscramble the foregoing: I provided two replies, one concerning the reporting attempts and one concerning report IDs. Then I tried your certificate query and responded to that (... no "Site Verified by"...). Now I will take this up with our IT department.
  • perfect -- let us know what you find.
  • The problem seems to be related to our firewall, and I am not having any luck getting it resolved.

I notice that there is something under Zotero Preferences -> Advanced about using a "base directory" for linked documents. It appears to be a way of storing and accessing linked documents locally in such a way as to permit transferring the database and library by way of a thumb drive rather than using the Zotero server. I only have two locations where I need the database and library, and one of those locations is where I do the most work by far. I work occasionally at the remote location, buy not nearly so much there as at the main location. So carrying the files on a thumb drive would not be difficult.

That all suggests that I could disable synching at both locations, and copy the Zotero files from the main computer onto my thumb drive. Then at the remote location, set the "base directory" and the "data directory location" to my thumb drive. After working at the remote location (using the thumb drive), I would copy the updated files from the thumb drive back to the main computer. I would update the files on the thumb drive as needed when work at the remote location is anticipated.

The main computer would always operate from its own hard drive, so would not need to have any "base directory" set. At the remote location I would always use the thumb drive, with no need to copy the files onto the hard drive at the remote location. So the remote computer would have the Zotero base directory set to the appropriate directory on the thumb drive.

The Zotero implementation at the main location has a custom data directory. The remote location would also have a custom data directory location, set to the appropriate directory on the thumb drive.

Would this work? Am I missing any details?

Many thanks for your help on this.
  • You don't even need the base directory as long as you're moving the entire zotero folder (including the "storage" folder inside it) on your thumbdrive.
    Relative links are only needed if you link to files rather than attaching them normally to Zotero items. (If you don't know which of the two you're doing, you're attaching them, which is the default).
  • O yes, I see. They are attached. I will proceed this way. Thanks for your help and patience!