Last error: Existing item 15242 exists in cache in Zotero.DataObjects.reload()

I am using the latest version of 1.5 on three computers: one Mac and two Windows XP Professional. On my Windows laptop, I get the above message (or Last error: Existing item 15242 exists in cache in Zotero.DataObjects.reload() in it's fullest version). No matter how many times I request a sync, I get this message. Any bright ideas?
  • I'll second that - I have Zotero on two machines and I'm getting the same message (although in my case its item 16227). Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Thirded. I'm having the same problem with the same error message on my Windows desktop at work, but not on my Macbook at home. (It's item 12914 in my case.)
  • Same problem (item 16868) on laptop but not on desktop, both running Win 7 beta. Unable to sync laptop
  • Dear Mr. Dan,

I'm having the same problem. I recently received the following error 'existing item exists in cache' (#264460049). How can I resolve this?

Here is the readout:
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/collection.js :: anonymous :: line 502" data: no] [ERROR: constraint failed]' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Existing item 16884 exists in cache in Zotero.DataObjects.reload()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

Thanks,

NH
  • Do we just complain here? Is this a vacuum? I get this same error and am trying to sync between 3 PCs. First it was having a problem with Google Chrome so I uninstalled that. Now I'm back to the existing item bug. Suggestions?
  • Please provide Report IDs for these errors using Report Errors under the gear menu.

klabadorf: You should feel free to reinstall Google Chrome. The "chrome" mentioned in error messages in Firefox is not a reference to Google Chrome.
  • edited April 10, 2009
    Hi Dan, just got this error

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Existing item 1807600 exists in cache in Zotero.DataObjects.reload()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
    report id 1883849587
    Regards,
    Jon.
  • The "Existing item [...] exists in cache" message is actually irrelevant. It's a bug, but it only occurs after another sync error, which shows up in Report Errors. If you're getting this, start a new thread and include a Report ID from Report Errors, and we'll be able to tell you what the actual problem is.

Jon, in your case the error is "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for collections", which happens if you modify a collection remotely (including item membership) but delete it locally. We'll support this eventually, but for the moment you'll need to use one of the Sync->Reset options in the Zotero preferences.