Error with ID 865758900

I reached the space limit on Zoter and I noticed that there were a couple of folders in a Zotero group occupying a lot of space. Since I don't need them, I cancelled them. Then I emptied the bin but now there is a problem with the following ID 865758900 and I don't know how to solve it. Could anyone help me, please?
  • [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsICryptoHash.updateFromStream]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js :: Zotero.Utilities.Internal.md5 :: line 79" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 586}]"
    Zotero seems to be having trouble reading one of your attachment files.

If you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt, I might be able to tell you which.
  • (But this may be because of security software on your system preventing Zotero from reading a file properly, so you could try temporarily disabling anything you have running.)
  • Hello Dan, thanks for your reply. I tried closing everything that could be closed and restarting Zotero Standalone, but the problem is still there. The debug ID is 666708443.
  • We need a Debug ID, not a Report ID.
  • Sorry for the mistake. I've done the procedure. This is the debug ID D1866847702.
  • edited July 6, 2016
    OK, paste 'N4V282VJ' in the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in your library root, right-click on the attachment that shows up, and click Show File. Anything notable (file size, etc.) about the file in question? Can you open it manually?
  • The pdf file is 1.2 MB large. There are other two files: .zotero-ft-cache and .zotero-ft-info.
  • Can you open it manually?
  • Yes, I could open the pdf file with a pdf reader and the other two files with notepad.
  • Try making a copy of that file, deleting the attachment item, emptying the trash for that library, and syncing again. If that goes through, you can try adding the file back and seeing if it fails again.
  • I cancelled the file and attachments, but the problem still persist. I generated a new debug logging and this is the ID D827939438.
  • Yeah, now you're just getting it for another file: U38ICVMT. I can't tell you exactly what the issue is, but something on your system is preventing Zotero from properly reading the files in your Zotero data directory. Generally this is due to security software or having your data directory on a network share or in a server-mirrored home directory that behaves differently from a normal filesystem.
  • I would like to know why it is happening just now and not before ( I have been using Zoter for already some months). Obviously, I would also like to know how to solve the problem.
  • I can't tell you, sorry — something likely changed on your computer.
  • But I explained the usual causes for this sort of error above.
  • I see. If I change the Data Directory, will Zotero automatically move all the files in the new folder?
  • No, you have to move the files yourself. Zotero will shut down and give you the chance to do so.

(It can be helpful to temporarily disable auto-sync while you try this to avoid pulling down your server library if you make a mistake.)
  • I think that I will export my entire library in a RDF file, then change the directory and import the RDF. Do you think that this method is also good?
  • No, don't do that. The files in your existing data directory should remain intact.
  • If the data directory is in a problematic location (e.g., network share — though you haven't actually said if that's the case), you just need to move the files to the new location you specify in the prefs.
  • I tried restarting the computer and it worked. Everything is fine now. I thank you for your help!!