Adding a citation at the start of a sentance

Quick question on Zotero usage. I note from the APA Manual 6th Edition p. 175

"
When a work has two authors, cite both names every time the reference occurs in text. When a work has three, four or five authors, cite all authors the first time the reference occurs; in subsequent citations, include only the surname of the first author followed by et al. (not italicized and with a period after al) and the year if it is the first citation of the reference within a paragraph.

Kisangau, Lyaruu, Hosea, and Joseph (2007) found [Use as first citation in text.]
Kisangau et al. (2007) found [Use as subsequent first citation per paragraph thereafter.]
Kisangau et al. found [Omit year from subsequent citations after first nonparenthetical citation within a paragraph. Include the year in subsequent citations if first citation within a paragraph is parenthetical. See section 6.11.]
"

My Questions:

Is Zotero able to insert a reference in any of these style? "Kisangau, Lyaruu, Hosea, and Joseph (2007)" ? And if so how?

Whenever I insert a 3 author citation I get e.g. (Metzger et al., 2010). I also do not get (Metzger, Flanagin, & Medders, 2010) when I insert it the first time in a document.

Any help is greatly appreciated
  • edited June 26, 2016
    1. Yes, by using the "Suppress author" button/checkbox and entering the author names manually
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage

2. Zotero will definitely print up to five names the first time an item with 3-5 authors is cited in a document using APA style. Please test in a fresh document.
  • Thanks, I never even knew about the classic view, very much appreciated.

Regarding (2)

When I test it on a fresh document it works perfectly. However when I do it in my main document it still only uses (Metzger et al., 2010) or (Hovland et al., 1949).

I deleted all references to the paper, and inserted a new reference at the very top of my paper but it still uses (Metzger et al., 2010)...

I was previously using the Harvard referencing style, would this affect it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Try changing citation styles to something completely different, make sure the change sticks.