Why do saved references go to the Unfiled Items

Hej,
and I recently have started to use Zotero again after a pause and after a new installation of my computer some week ago I have finally found my old library /references. When I today started to build new references into the existing library they donĀ“t go there after clicking the icon for saving to Zotero. Instead they show up in the Unfiled item folder? Why?

Kindly / Cecilia
  • The Unfiled Items folder is just a folder for any item in the library that is not a part of any collection (the folders on the left side of the library). If you click the brown box icon at the top of the library (labelled "My Library" or the name of the Group), you will see a list of all of the items in the library (whether they are part of a collection or not).

When you are saving items using the browser icon, they save to the currently selected collection in the Zotero client.

If you don't want to see the Unfiled Items folder, you can right-click on it and select Hide.
  • Thanks - but I am still not clear about how I make the items being saved in My library instead. And how I can move the references saved today from Unfiled Items to the My Library (where I wanted them to show up when saved).

Kindly again / Cecilia
  • I have solved the move to Library. I still have not solved how I make them show up there directly when saved. What to I need to change, i.e. to not make them show up only in unfiled item?

Kindly / Cecilia
  • edited June 20, 2016
    Your "My Library" can contain many collections. You can create collections by clicking the folder icon superimposed with a plus sign located immediately above the My Library (above the left hand column).

You can make collections with category titles to assist with organizing the items in your Library. If you have a collection open when you download an item it is saved to your "My Library" but it will also appear in the open collection. If you do not have any collection open, the item will appear in your "My Library" and it will also appear in your Unfiled Items group (because it is not in any of your collections). You can drag items that are in the Unfiled Items group into a collection. Upon dragging the item into a collection it is then "filed" and will no longer be in the Unfiled Items group.

Everything is in your Library. Collections are like iTunes play lists -- an item can be made to appear in more than one collection but the item isn't duplicated. The single record exists in "My Library" and items in collections "point" to the Library item. Items in the Unfiled Items group are also in your "My Library" and will remain there until the items are placed in a collection.
  • If an item is in Unfiled Items, it is also in My Library. My Library is all of the items in the library. It may be helpful to think of collections as more like playlists in a music program than like folders. Items can be in many collections simultaneously (or in none, when they will show in Unfiled Items)--in any case, they will always also show in My Library.
  • Hej, and thanks. Two things to check for full clarity;
    1. Since My library as you say may consist of several collections how do I steer the downloading towards any of these? Is it something I do actively when downloading (i.e. are there options to be made in that specific activity?). Or is it handled by having one library open in 'the other end' before downloading?
    2. If something show up on unfiled items, it depends on whether a collection is open or not?

Kindly / Cecilia
  • Hej again, and just realized that when downloading I have some options (there is a drop-list); so what is the main difference between Saving by using (in this case studied) Google Books or Saving by using Embedded Meta Data?

/ Cecilia
  • 1) when saving, the item goes to the currently selected collection in Zotero.

2) There is no such thing as a collection being "open". Either an item is in a particular collection or it's not. If you drag an item into a collection, it will no longer appear in Unfiled Items. If you remove an item from all collections (by going into each collection it belongs to, right-clicking on the item, and choosing Remove from Collection), it will show up in Unfiled Items again (it's no longer "filed" in any collections).

3) Zotero has hundreds of little programs that it uses to extract data from sites to import into Zotero--these are called "translators". Some translators are built to handle a specific site (like Google Books), while others are more generic (like Embedded Metadata, which just uses the web page header information and tends to be poor quality, or DOI, which looks up a DOI name on the page using the CrossRef database to get item data). By default, Zotero picks the translator that should work best for the page you're on. The drop-menu options are there in the rare cases that this default doesn't work right (e.g., if a site changes its layout and breaks the site-specific translator; or if it's a blog post that posts a DOI for the article it's discussing, but you want to save the blog post).
  • edited June 21, 2016
    To be clear: when you look for downloaded items are you looking at the list online at Zotero.org?

You should be using the Zotero version on your computer...Zotero in Firefox or Zotero standalone.

The Zotero program offers a screen with 3 columns. On the left you should see My Library at the top and below that several folders. If you click on a folder you are selecting / opening a 'collection'. In the center column you will see a list of those items that are in that collection. With the collection selected anything you download to Zotero should be placed in the open collection.

I'm puzzled about why things aren't working. What version of Zotero are you using? Are you using the old Zotero version that you used before the pause? How long was the pause?

A few of the attempts to help have been detailed, step-by-step instructions. I suspect that you may need to wipe from your mind what you seem to remember about Zotero, re-read the messages above, and try again. This process of downloading items to an open collection should be simple, obvious, and automatic. I mean no insult by that. There is something basic that is amiss. It could be something wrong with your Zotero installation or it could be that your memory of how to use Zotero needs to be refreshed.

[edit: Question to long-timers --- Am I correct that several versions ago there was an issue that prevented downloaded items from being assigned to the selected collection?]
  • Thanks again, and sorry for the forum pause. I got it now that I need to 'select' a collection by opening it before downloading. I am though quite convinced that before the maybe 2 yrs long Zotero pause I could go directly into e.g. Google sholar and save a reference without opening any collection and it went directly into the only collection I have. Now it went into unfiled items if i do not open Zotero and click the collection first. As regards what version I use I am not sure but I downloaded it some weeks ago (Zotero for Firefox). The pasue was as said appr 2 yrs.
    And yes, the process is probably both simple, obvious and automatic to people fairly used to software. The problem to me, with no claims at all for being good at software, not even fairly used to them either, is that Zotero behaved diffferently and I was not prepared for this I guess,
    Anyhow, thanks again, from a not insulted but a little flattened and confused Cecilia
  • Glad we could help and that things seem to be working for you now.
  • Hi, I have a problem with Zotero.I have installed it on a new computer but when I save the reference form the icon link in the google chrome, it directly saves on Zotero.org, not on the determined file in the Zotero of my computer. Then all the references imported to the Zotero in my new computer only save in the main library in www.zotero.org.I have tried several times for finding an option in the setting of Zotero of my computer to correct the problem, but still, I can not find!!!Moreover, I deleted my user and password form the Zotero of my new computer, it did not solve again.....Please guide me
  • Have you installed the Zotero desktop app, in addition to the Chrome plugin?
    http://zotero.org/download

You need to have the Zotero app open when saving from your browser.