Zotero and Ulysses 3: does it worth a try?

Hello there!

I am in the middle of choosing the powerful writing instrument for a large monograph in international law. I am basically choosing between Scrivener and Ulysses. I know that Scrivener offers huge possibilities and that's what actually disturbing me. All I need is a stable plain text editor with the possibility to work on mobile device as well (it is optional though). However I am not sure if Ulysses work well with Zotero which is my main reference manager (I also use Papers for organizing PDFs). So I am wondering does workflow on Ulysses is similar to Scrivener? I mean, all I need for Ulysses is my Juris-M and ODF-scan plug-in?

I found this topic here with the relevant issue: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/32597/ulysses-iii-and-zotero-experiences
Discussion went to Pandoc questions very fast there :) Any updates since then?
  • no real updates, no. I'd probably more strongly advocate using pandoc even more strongly now then two years ago, though. There are a number of improved tools available that make this even more convenient.
  • Honestly, Pandoc looks very geeky for me. Reminds me of LaTeX, which I could never handle with. I do like WYSIWYM paradigm for plain text editors. But working in terminal is not what I am after.

So as I can see the main problem of Ulysses is that it does not support ODF export?
  • yes, that'd be the issue (and mean that you'd have to roundtrip through LibreOffice every time you want to compile, which sounds rather annoying).

As for Pandoc, you wouldn't be "working" in a terminal -- you would have one command to compile your document that you have to figure out exactly once, and then all you do is copy&paste that and change the file name going forward.
    It's up to you in the end, but if you're looking for a workflow to write a longer work and you want to use anything other than a WYSWYG word processor, getting used to pandoc is an hour well spend.