numeric + apa = aggro...

Hi. I've been asked to create a weird Frankenstein's Monster style - superscripted numeric in-text citations, then the bibliography is in numeric order, with the rest of the citation in APA style. I managed to modify the APA style using the CSL editor to do this, but the in-text citations change numbers as I add citations so that they remain in alphabetical order by author (i.e. instead of intended 1,2,3 they change so they might be 1,3,2. This is driving me nuts - is there any way to fix this?
  • That's because you're still sorting the bibliography alphabetically (and some styles do actually require that). Remove the entire sort element for the bibliography section.
  • Thank you! I had removed it for the in-text part, but not for the bibliography part. I think that worked!
  • You actually want
    <sort>
    <key variable="citation-number"/>
    </sort>
    for the citation sort, otherwise you can get citations cited multiple times in the wrong order (i.e. [13, 7])
  • Where would I put that in the code?
  • Between <bibliography> and <layout>
  • no, between <citation...> and <layout> (you can also put it between <bibliography> and <layout>, but it won't change anything there)
  • Oops, sorry!
  • edited June 17, 2016
    I went back to an earlier version and just took the sort out from the bibliography, not the in-text, and I think its in like that:

<citation collapse="citation-number"> [line 574]
    <sort>
    <key variable="citation-number"/>
    </sort>
    <layout vertical-align="sup" delimiter=",">
    <group>
    <text variable="citation-number" vertical-align="sup"/>
    <text macro="citation-locator"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
    <bibliography et-al-use-last="true" entry-spacing="0" line-spacing="2" hanging-indent="true">
    <layout>
  • (you'll want to use text mode or put <code> tags around xml code when in Html mode)
    Yes, that looks correct.
  • Thanks! (And sorry about the html - I'll remember that ;-)