retitle items with useful names, but use original title for citation

Hi, just started using zotero, having difficulty figuring out if this has already been discussed or if it is already a feature...

Often, I like to refer to papers and organize them by descriptive titles that help me remember them like "Solar-Morocco-2007" however, currently all the documents are titled in the center pane by their actual title.

(similar to pdf renaming discussion, but still different, I think?)

In the meantime, I'm using fake titles with asterisks, to let me know that I need to go back and put in the actual titles when I create my bibliography, but it would be much nicer if I had one title for organizing/remembering, and the other title automatically appeared in the citation.
  • what you could do is use one of the fields you don't usually use for your "informal title".
    Ideally this would be the "Extra" field, but unfortunately you can't display that in the middle panel (why?), so I would suggest you use the "Rights" field, which afaik never gets used in citation. you can then use the little spreadsheet llike icon on the top right of the middle panel to add "Rights" to the panel and the click on it to sort by it. If I understand you correctly that should do everything you're looking for.
  • Thanks! That's awesome, that will work for right now.