Feature requests - large libraries

Hello! Not sure if these requests are covered elsewhere (tho I searched for them first). I have been using 1.5b for a few weeks. I use it with a large library (2800+) and smaller collections (300 - 600).

I have noticed two things that slow things down with my large library:
1) The autocomplete search feature slows things down. I'd rather have the search work after I type the entry in, rather than start sorting as I type. With a large lib, it just hangs for a few seconds.
2) Whenever I drag selections to tags, a thumbnail image of the items I selected appears behind the cursor. With a large selection, this has the effect of covering up the collection or tag I'm dragging the items to. I'd suggest you change this to a single item, perhaps that says "X items selected".

Otherwise, I'm a longtime user of Endnote, and I have to say I like zotero just as much. It gets a big edge because of the Open Office ability. Its downside so far is that it is slower than Endnote. That's a fair trade, in my view.
  • 1) The autocomplete search feature slows things down. I'd rather have the search work after I type the entry in, rather than start sorting as I type. With a large lib, it just hangs for a few seconds.
    Type a " (double quotation mark) character before the search to disable find-as-you-type.
    2) Whenever I drag selections to tags, a thumbnail image of the items I selected appears behind the cursor. With a large selection, this has the effect of covering up the collection or tag I'm dragging the items to. I'd suggest you change this to a single item, perhaps that says "X items selected".
    This effect is determined by Firefox and also varies by platform. It's the same effect you see dragging from any similar "tree view" in Firefox (such as the bookmarks manager) and as far as I know not within our control.
  • edited March 8, 2009
    2) you can turn off the drag thumbnail image "feature" - just enter the url about:config, find this item, and set to false.

nglayout.enable_drag_images

1) would be nice to be able to turn off find-as-you-type. A minor issue, hidden pref would be fine.
  • edited March 18, 2009
    Dan - Thanks, that helps. I do think it would be nice to be able to turn that feature off, but I've already gotten used to doing the double quote technique.

Alexuw - beautiful, brother. That's a great help.