Zotero 5.0 Beta

• I wonder if I should switch to zotero 5 beta and I just saw in the changelog that "Unsupported image is now properly disallowed" and "embedded images may be supported in the future".
    I have a lot of embedded images in my notes (by embedded I mean using the tag < img href="some web based host ―Gdrive, imgur or any website ―" >).

Do the sentences above means that my embedded images won't be supported? If yes, what will happen to my embedded images when I upgraded? Will you automatically remove any < img> tag?

Thanks

• Since I'm using Zotero in combination with LaTeX I was wondering if the new version implements support for specifying the cite key for the bib(la)tex export. This functionality was earlier covered by the zotero-better-bibtex add-on but due to the changes of Zotero 5 does not look promising to be available any time soon (https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/555). Not being able to define the cite key makes it very cumbersome to use (i.e., having to digg out the random generated cite keys during export).
  • Similar issue here - have been using zotero with better-bibtex for latex citation. Cant switch to zotero 5 since that addon is not working.

Is there any plan to provide this functionality natively - i.e., update the bib file after every edit to database?

Thanks for this application! Much appreciate the continued development.
  • Citekeys: There will be no field/type updates in 5.0; they're all slated for 5.1. Almost certain citekeys will be among those.

No auto-updating of .bib files is planned currently. But looking at the linked ticket, @emilianoheyns hasn't said anything for a while, so are we sure that he won't be able to get BBT to work with 5.0 on or pretty soon after its final release?
  • I have a question about "My Publications" and the Zotero profile: I already have a section in my library called "My Publications" - which is shared on my Zotero profile within my CV. How is the new function different? What's the best way to use it?
  • edited January 27, 2017
    @whuber New "My publication" is visible directly on your "home" page - see https://www.zotero.org/libora. In CV you can find different info (see https://www.zotero.org/libora/cv). There are some other differences. I am not sure, what approach is better.
    EDIT: you can not add attachments to new "My publication" collection.
  • How do I designate a publication as "my publication" in the new version, if I already had a library section named "My publications?"
  • @whuber The new "My Publications" feature has more functionality than the previous CV function on zotero.org (see the comparison for LiborA. It is directly editable from the Zotero desktop program, and it can also include attachments (shared with a license of your choosing). A blog post or similar detailing the new feature is likely forthcoming, but you can see a brief summary here: https://www.zotero.org/support/5.0_changelog

To use "My Publications", just drag an item to it in the Zotero client. You will get a popup walking you through the next steps.
  • edited January 27, 2017
    Loving the Feeds capability of 5.0 beta, however I noticed one slight issue. When adding a citation to my library from an RSS feed (after opening feed item in browser), the Saving Item 'dialogue' box that pops up indicates the item is being saved to the original feeds subfolder (from which the item was originally launched into browser) when in fact the item is added to the library proper. And though it alarmed me at first (that the citation would be added to the feeds folder and not library), this misinformation is actually not a huge problem (mostly cosmetic).

Note: using 5.0-beta.121+3a1bec1
  • edited January 29, 2017
    I'm getting the "You've installed the Zotero Connector!" dialog every time I reopen Firefox.

Is this behavior normal? Does it have to do with my Firefox settings (perhaps under about:config)? Or will it go away once 5.0 final is released?
  • protein function: We've created a ticket for that.

@areteichi: No, that message should only appear the first time you click the icon. Make sure you have the latest version, currently 4.999.9. If you still see it repeatedly with that, start a new thread and provide a Report ID.
  • edited January 30, 2017
    Using the beta I have a problem when I try to remove codes from a document in LibreOffice.

1. Create document, add citations, save, refresh, add bibliography. All good.
    2. Set document preferences, all seems well.
    3. Choose to remove codes, Libre office hangs.

With debug enabled I can see the text of the 'Removing field codes will prevent Zotero from updating citations and bibliographies in this document.' dialog is generated but never appears to the user. With debug enabled I can see the interaction but both Zotero beta and LibreOffice hang when I choose to 'submit' debug info to the server (and so I never get a debug id).

Everything else with the LibreOffice plugin seems to work fine.
  • edited February 1, 2017
    Thank you for the great work. It's amazing to see Zotero adapt to new circumstances so well.

I have a question about attaching PDFs to existing items in 5.0 beta. I usually get my items from PubMed and similar depositories which have better/standardized metadata, and then attach PDFs from journal webpages. I cannot find a way to attach PDFs from Firefox (or Chrome) directly to an existing item in Zotero. Just wanted to check if the functionality has been moved or removed due to limitations.

I read Dan's note about being able to save to Zotero directly from Firefox's default pdf viewer, which I could see in Zotero 4, but no longer do in the latest 5-beta (128). No matter what, I can save PDFs directly to Zotero using the Zotero button (Firefox or Chrome), but not as attachments.

Moving a PDF under an item in the Zotero app is not hard, of course. So this is not a serious issue, at most an inconvenience.
  • I cannot find a way to attach PDFs from Firefox (or Chrome) directly to an existing item in Zotero. Just wanted to check if the functionality has been moved or removed due to limitations.
    Not so much removed — it just never existed in the Connectors for Zotero Standalone. But I could see adding it as an option to the save button context menu when viewing a PDF. I've added an issue to consider that.

In the meantime, the easiest way is just to drag either the link to the PDF or the PDF's icon (either from its tab or from the left of the address bar) directly onto the item in Zotero.
  • Thanks, and the "easiest ways" you describe work very well.
  • Will the new connector eventually operate under firefox x64 ?

thanks for everything here.

• The connector already works with Firefox x64
  • Hi!

What do you mean by "Unsupported image is now properly disallowed" and "embedded images may be supported in the future" (cf changelog).
    I have a lot of embedded images in my notes (by embedded I mean using the tag < img href="some web based host ―Gdrive, imgur or any websites ―" >).

Do the sentences above means that my embedded images won't be supported? If yes, what will happen to my embedded images when I upgraded? Will the < img> tags be automatically removed or will they still be in the HTML code but the image will not be displayed?

Thanks
  • edited February 7, 2017
    It was possible to paste or drag and drop images in a note. That's now impossible (i.e. nothing will happen if you try).
    It was also possible - and I assume that's what you were doing - to view and edit the HTML source of a note, thanks to the HTML button. Edit: It is still possible in 5.0 via the context menu.
    Do the sentences above means that my embedded images won't be supported? If yes, what will happen to my embedded images when I upgraded? Will the < img> tags be automatically removed or will they still be in the HTML code but the image will not be displayed?
    I am not sure, but a user reported that the pictures s/he added to notes before upgrading to 5.0 beta are intact, even if he can't add new ones. Please note that they don't sync however…
  • given that Vialo says the images are on a "web based host", I'd imagine they'd sync (i.e. the link to the source would sync, which means they display across machines), but haven't tested.
  • What is the transition path to Zotero 5.0 for users on Zotero 4.0.29.x? When ever the full public release of 5.0 happens, will it be a simple, single-step, upgrade for even new users of Zotero? Or, are we expecting a more involved upgrade path?
  • It will be a one-step upgrade, yes, but will prompt users before updating (so that you can stay on 4.0.x if, e.g., you're towards the end of a project.
  • That's great, thanks. I am asking a bunch of people to install Zotero and many are new to bibliography/reference management tools in general.

What, if any, should be my concerns and 'watch out for' when the upgrade rolls out? Will 4.0.29.x users see any dramatic change that I should be prepared for, such as Groups?
  • The biggest change is that 5.0 is Standalone+Connector only. There is no longer a Firefox add-on that provides all the functionality. So I'd recommend for new users to start on Standalone. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything that I'd expect to be confusing.
  • Maybe they should install the 5.0 beta. Except for the most esoteric of circumstances (that means I cannot think of even one example) it works as well or better than the latest 4.0.x. The stacked interface version of 5.0 is wonderful. 5.0 beta is by far more stable and feature rich than many final release versions from major software companies.
    Good point, especially given that it might be confusing if the interface changes (even if only slightly) very shortly after starting with a software and that the migration between 4 and 5 is probably the most fragile part of 5.0 (not saying it's fragile -- but if things break, it'll likely be there).
    The only caveat is that you'd want to get them off the beta track once 5.0 is in regular release. That's trivially easy to do (just re-install), but you'd have to judge if that's something you can effectively communicate.
  • This is very helpful, thanks!
    Maybe I should transition to 5.0 Beta first so I can better advise the new users. I am still at 4.0.29.x, and that was to avoid any disruption to my work/library from changes during beta stage.

1. I recall reading some of the popular add-ons are not (yet) working with 5.0 Beta. Could you list what add-ons are already working, which might be working soon, which might work in due course of time, and which have no reasonable hope of working? It might be useful to have a sticky somewhere that tracks the add-on compatibility with 5.0. Here are the add-ons I use currently:
    - Zotero for Word
    - Zotfile
    - Zutilo
    - Zotero Prevent Duplicates
    - Zotero Scholar Citations

2. Regarding the re-install when going from 5.0 Beta to 5.0 full public release, will that be just a simple re-install or will users be required to export/backup their libraries and then import/restore them?

3. Just to confirm, there is no easy way for me to test 5.0 Beta without having to let go of 4.0.29.x? I have one computer at home (Win 10 64-bit) and another at work (Win 7 64-bit), and both are running 4.0.29.x. I could create a new admin user login in the home computer but think that still does not let me use 5.0 Beta, right?
    1. Zotero for Word, Zotfile (which has a 5.0 Beta) and Zutilo work with Zotero 5.0.

2. A simple re-install.

3.You can use two separate profiles which would have their own libraries to test it: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/64269/multiple-libraries
    Since you're using two computers, you can install Zotero 5.0 beta on one computer and keep 4.0.x on the other one. Just use your account to make them sync normally with the server.
  • @Gracile -- how would multiple libraries let you run two separate versions of Standalone? That seems tricky.

re 1.) I think a thread on this would indeed be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.