Can I import from a backed-up version of Zotero (not exported)?

Good afternoon.

I've been using Zotero for about a year now, and recently upgraded to 1.5. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload my Zotero citations into the cloud using 1.5 yet, so they're just saved on my computer.

But, I have had unrelated computer problems and unfortunately had to reformat my computer recently. I backed up all of my data, including all of my Zotero files, before I reformatted the computer. But, I did not export the Zotero files to an external drive. (I wish I had, but I didn't.) What I did was simply copy the entire folder onto an external drive. Then, I reformatted my computer, which erased everything on it but windows vista.

Now, I have reinstalled Firefox and Zotero, but I can't figure out how to bring back all of my citations. As I said, in retrospect, I should have exported my citations to the external drive, but I didn't.

Is there a way to use the backed-up Zotero files to recreate my citation library on the reformatted computer?

Thanks.
  • Thanks for the link. It looks like those instructions indicate that the best way to back up your Zotero files is to do what I did: copy the entire folder to an external drive.

But, I still can't seem to import that saved folder/file. I followed the directions in the link above and closed firefox and copied the saved version of the Zotero folder into the location of the new Zotero folder, but that didn't work. And, I also tried to import, while in Zotero, from the saved version.

Are there other issues that I may need to debug? This is really stressing me out.

Thanks.
  • Was your Zotero data previously stored inside your Firefox profile (the default location)? Copying your backed up Zotero folder into your Firefox profile should do the trick. You don't want to import, you just want to copy the Zotero folder and then start Firefox.
  • That's a good question. I had changed the default file location to a different place. But, I backed up the entire drive, so in theory, the Zotero files should be saved on my external hard drive.

So, here's what I did just now: I found the default location (on the external drive), and copied that Zotero folder into the new default location on the computer. Then, I also went into the folder (on the external drive)where I told Zotero to save my items, and also copied that Zotero file into the new default location on the computer. I did all of this while Firefox was closed. Then, I opened up firefox and looked at Zotero, but it did not recognize the files that I had moved from the external drive. There were a smattering of citations (6) that showed up, by the other ~700 did not.

Any other suggestions? I made sure that the Zotero file location on the computer now is the default location, and that's where I moved the backed-up files.
  • A very elementary question here: I've been using Zotero 1.0 for about a month but I've only just registered (am thinking of going for the 1.5 beta, but haven't actually downloaded yet). This means my Zotero files are on my 2 PCs, but not in the Zotero library when I now sign in as a registered user.

What do I do to get the Zotero files on my PC recognised when I sign in and look at my library? I'm assuming I need to do this before going for 1.5 and getting material from both PCs into the cloud.
  • with 1.5 you can upload (synchronize) your library. Only then will it appear after logging in. But you don't have to do anything apart from that.
    I take it you have the same library on both PCs?
    That might get a little tricky, depending on how you managed that, but maybe someone else can help better here.
  • Thanks very much.

I have different files on the 2 PCs - is that likely to cause problems? Is there anything I should do now to reduce them?
  • You should be able to merge the two different libraries by syncing both libraries to a single Zotero acount. If you have a considerable amount of duplicate items this might not be the best approach, all of those duplicated items will appear in your new merged library. In any case it is a good idea to back up your Zotero data. With that said you should just be able to upgrade both of your copies of Zotero, enter your login info, and merge the two sets of items.