Improve the search engine - Elastic search

Hello,

The search engine of zotero is not very good and pretty unusable if you have +500 items. It seems it's simply a full text search in the database.

Why not indexing the content in a real search engine like https://www.elastic.co/ ? Not only it will allow to put weight on some fields (like bigger weight on the title and tags, less on the abstract) but also new features like "do you mean" or related content...

I used elastic search on some web projects and it was very easy to use. Also, it seems even it's capable of working with big data and distributed environment, it's also good in embed applications.

Right now I'm using devonThink to find my stuff, but it would be nice if I can use directly Zotero.
  • Nobody is interested in search capability? Is Zotero 5 better in this area?
  • Hi gagrine,

I support your suggestion. It would be nice, if you have a "weighted and elastic" search in big zotero databases. I would like to give bigger weight to self-added content like tags and notes and less to full-text content. The elastic search would be fine, to find "similar" tags (ie with typing errors,..) within one search.