sync error ID 1278337437

Hi all.
I've started repeatedly getting an error when syncing. I've tried on different days, restarted firefox etc. Not sure exactly what isn't working, but suggestions welcome. Thanks very much in advance.
  • What's the actual error you're getting?
  • I think it's not bringing in new articles that I'm adding to zotero from other computers, but not totally sure - just keep getting the error message every time I try to sync:

A file sync error occurred. Please try syncing again.

If you receive this message repeatedly, restart Firefox and/or your computer and try again. If you continue to receive the message, submit an error report and post the Report ID to a new thread in the Zotero Forums.

Just tried again and latest ID is 671531923.

Sorry that doesn't give much to go on.
  • No, if you're getting that messages, it's syncing all your data, but it's not syncing all files.

Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces the error?
  • Thanks. Hopefully implemented the debug thing correctly - ID D286315464.

Error report this time was 1033498173

I only get the sync error on one of my computers, if that gives any further clue.

Thanks again for your help.
  • (1)(+0000001): S3 returned 0 (40050_WVV7SS2G) -- retrying download
    This is likely due to security software on your computer or misconfigured proxy settings interfering with your ability to download files from the Amazon cloud. Try temporarily disabling your security software, and check your system proxy settings to make sure they're correct (if in use) or fully disabled (if not).
  • Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this, I've been trying to find ways round it. I can't disable the security software (Sophos) because it's a work laptop - tried ending it in task manager and it just restarts.

On the proxy settings - I looked at this in the preferences section, and I have enable proxy redirection and automatically recognise proxied resources ticked, with one scheme in the configured proxies (for my work journal access). Is that correct?

Is there anything I can do with the Sophos if that's what's causing the problems?

Thanks again
  • edited June 15, 2016
    No, this would be your system proxy, not the proxy support within Zotero, which is a different thing.
  • If you can bring the laptop offsite with any proxy disabled, you can also try syncing from another network to see if that helps. That would help you narrow it down between the network and the security software.
  • Thanks Dan. I found proxy settings under network and internet. I switched automatically detect settings to off, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Under manual proxy settings, use a proxy server is set to off. Is that right? Sorry, not familiar with proxy settings to know what needs changing.

I then tried disconnecting from the work wifi and using my mobile hotspot. With that, the syncing worked (no error message anyway).

I don't really want to use my mobile data every time I sync firefox, so is there a way round this? Thanks again
  • You'd have to talk to your work IT and ask them why downloads from Amazon S3 (https://s3.amazonaws.com) are failing. The fact that this works via your phone means this is a network issue.
  • In terms of reproducing this to test, what you can try is making sure Zotero is set to download file "as needed" in the Sync pane of the Zotero prefs, and then doing Show File on a PDF in your library, deleting the PDF, and then double-clicking it in Zotero to trigger the download. You'll want to see if fails every time that way on your work network, to know how reproducible this is for troubleshooting.
  • Thanks Dan. Having successfully synced once using my phone wifi, it now seems to be working OK on the work internet. Not sure why but at least it's sorted! Thanks again for your help
  • Did you try the test I suggested? Having immediate follow-up syncs work isn't particularly meaningful, since operations that were causing the trouble already went through via the phone — but that doesn't mean they won't happen again.