ad PDF-download to in-zotero-existing publictaions

When I download a PDF I want to add it to an still existing publication-entry in my library.
  • If you install ZotFile and set its "watch folder" to your browser's download directory, you can use the "Attach New File" right-click menu item to attach files (and remove them from the download directory) immediately after fetching them. I use that a lot, it's very convenient.
  • you can also drag the URL to an existing Zotero item and you can use "Attach Snapshot of Current Page" in the Firefox add-on. When looking at PDFs, that attached the PDF.
  • "Attach Snapshot of Current Page" sounds intereseting but I can not use this here because I don't view PDFs inside my Firefox.

draggin an URL is sometimes hard maybe unpossible because the page doesn't show a url or download link. It just make a automatic download. And the download dialog is poping up.
    e.g. Doesn't work for Links offered by PubMed because there is just another website behind it.
    There is often not direct PDF-url.

What I imagine is an extra radio-button in the Firefox-Download dialog like this

- "Open"
    - "Save File"
    - "Save to Zotero"
    - "Get Metadata for that pdf-file"
    - "Add to existing entry/item"
    @fbennet The ZotFile solution is to long. What you described can be done with Zotero itself and nearly the same amount of (to much) mouse clicks.
  • You can just use "Save to Zotero" in the download dialog and then drag the saved PDF onto an existing item.

(Customization of the download dialog won't be possibly anymore in the near future anyway, so we won't be adding more options to it.)
  • The Zutilo plugin has the option right-click on a link and "Attach Link to Current Item" which will attach the PDF in the way you want