Can't sync and the sync spin don't stop

The error log pasted below. I doubt this is because the network connection broken. But then the sync dont' stop and when the network reconnected, new sync can't start.

JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()' when calling method: [nsIObserver::observe]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()' when calling method: [nsIObserver::observe]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()' when calling method: [nsIObserver::observe]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()' when calling method: [nsITimerCallback::notify]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

• I think I had the same problem (didn't save the error log, though). Restarting Firefox solved it for me. I don't know what initially caused the error.
  • I've had this error happen several times as well on my other machine. I still have not resolved the issue. I hope someone does (if so please contact Me).
  • edited March 11, 2009
    A little update: I think this problem is related to my computer going to sleep (suspend to RAM) with Firefox/Zotero still running. Every time it wakes up again, the sync symbol just keeps spinning. The way to fix it is to close and restart FF.

--Edit:
    Okay, my claim above is not true. Putting the computer to sleep might be a necessary condition, but it is certainly not a sufficient one to produce the endless synch. If anyone's interested, I guess I could do a more systematic investigation under which circumstances that problem comes up.
  • edited March 13, 2009
    I think I had this same error. With my initial "reset" for my second machine, the sync spin never stopped, although the progress bar made it all the way across. In spite of this the sync appears to have been successful. All of my items, including attachments, are now available on my second machine.

I tried restarting Firefox, and now the sync spin ends with an error symbol. I think that the sync is actually failing.

Error Report ID: 2102939466

The error log contains messages that suggest that it is confused because the previous operation did not complete.

UPDATE: I shook this loose by using the "Reset Storage History" option, in combination with restarting Firefox. So, now the sync proceeds part way, and just keeps spinning -- never halts. The error log now has very different messages in it. I've submitted a new error report:

Report ID: 2106839304

UPDATE 2: I did another full reset. This time, after resolving one conflict, the sync has completed successfully.
  • I had the same problem since one week ago, but I think I managed to solve it. I'm not an expert in informatics, so I'll do my best to explain you what I did.

This problem began in my Zotero database since one week ago. I realized it was the same time since I activated the option "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving the items" (Preferences --> General --> Miscellaneous).

In order to solve the "non-stop sync spin", I just deactivated that option and then I deleted from my library all the references that I downloaded during this time (around nine articles from different sources, such as Jstor, Sage, Springer, Google Scholar, etc.). I didn't erase all my database. Then I restarted my machine and the the problem was gone.

In order to test if the problem really was gone, I downloaded the same nine references, obviously without the option "Automatically attach...". Instead, I proceed to manually attach the PDFs files to each reference. I didn't experience the problem any more.

Some extra info: I am using an IMac, Mac OS X 10.5.6, Firefox 3.0.10 and Zotero 2.0b4.

I hope this information is useful for you guys!
  • I have just started having similar problems. With auto-sync enabled the spinning symbol never stops, or stops for max half a minute, then starts again. While it's spinning I cannot do much with Zotero. Regularly it will show an empty progress bar for a file transfer to the file server, but the bar never advances, and a few seconds later the bar disappears. It seems like it's choking on one file that it cannot transfer, but I have no idea which one. How can I find this out?

Also, today the sync will "end" with an error and will tell me to do a full sync reset. I did it and nothing changed. I also did a full local to server reset and got no improvements.

Thanks.
  • rafagomez: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8155/sync-each-15-seconds/#Item_10
This discussion has been closed.