Comma separated tag entry

The keyword to tags import does not always work, so I usually copy and paste the list of keywords from an article's pdf into a tag. The result is a long string of comma separated words. Is there a way to get these automatically parsed to single tags?
  • What program are you exporting from and what data format are you using (e.g. RIS, etc)?
  • I am speaking strictly about screen scraper results. Keywords are sometimes entered as tags and sometimes not. Understandable given the problem. However, when it fails I'd like to manually paste the whole string of keywords (into a tag field for instance) and have it automatically parsed into a set of tags.

Drag and drop of selected text into tags would be extra special.
  • I also have tried that and would like this feature.

Also, I think some journals separate their keywords with semicolons if memory serves me. So splitting tags automatically on semicolons or commas would be good.
  • edited April 12, 2011
    I would love this feature, too.

cross-link:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3046/parse-commaseparated-tags/
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/13062/automatically-split-tags-on-commasemicolon/#Item_0
  • Yes, please add this feature.
  • I'll add my voice to this. When getting information from our library database, the Subject Headings are automatically entered as tags, but they are entered as one long tag separated by fullstops. Being able to separate them based on any given character or string would be ideal. A number of these tags are too long for Zotero to sync, which causes a number of issues.
  • edited June 14, 2011
    markboynz: That just means there's a site translator bug. Start a new thread and provide sample URLs or search terms and someone will fix it.

Once they're in Zotero and you try to sync there's already a wizard that will help you split them up if they're too long. The key is to fix the translators so that such tags don't get saved in the first place.

(There's still the problem of existing concatenated tags that aren't above the length limit, but, regardless of the merits of this particular feature request, I don't think that manual fixing is the best way to solve that.)
  • markboynz - well that shouldn't happen in the first place - which library catalogue?
  • Re: existing concatenated tags that aren't above the length limit

Is there any way to invoke the tag editing wizard?

I have many imported tags, not above the length, that otherwise need to be edited by hand. The wizard would make it somewhat faster. Thanks!
  • In case anyone else bumps into this issue like me: entering the list of tags separated by linebreaks works: they are added as separate tags, and Zotero still trims extra spaces.