Zotero does not show the citation when I click on it

When I click on a citation to edit it, the bar that comes up does not contain the reference and is empty.

I have only got this problem with one doc at the moment so I might have changed sth in the wrong way but don't know what.
  • Also, I have just found that some of the early citations work in this doc but others don't.
  • I also had this problem. It seems that the citations I copied directly from the standalone didn't copy as fields into Word, as they are meant to (I have that option selected). If I use the zotero script to add citations to my Word document they do work but recently the others copied form zotero directly do not create a field, they just copy the text of the citation, e.g. (Author date). When I click on the citation it is clear that there is no field and you cannot 'toggle' field as is the case for Word fields. I tried re-installing zotero plugin for Word for Mac but no luck. And I have the latest zotero standalone it seems. version 4.0.29.5
  • rsinger, in your case that's just a misunderstanding. Citations you just copy from standalone are always just going to be text, not sure what led you to think otherwise. You need to use the Zotero add-on in Word to generate active citation fields.
  • Thanks for your reply Adamsmith. That is useful. But still I'm sure that I used to copy my citations from zotero standalone, and then they would be picked up by zotero when I created a bibliography. Now they are not being picked up - only the ones that I insert into word using the script menu, are appearing in the bibliography. But I guess I will have to shift to using that method to insert all my references!