references are only gibberish after having downloaded doc. that used zotero firefox

Hi there,

I have downloaded a doc. that used Zotero for Firefox and now in every doc. I open the ref.s are replaced by endless lines of weird signs.

I have had this problem before and read that rebooting the PC helps, which it did the last time I had the same issue but not now, so I don't know what to do. :/

Thanks in advance!
  • Try pressing alt+F9 in Word.
  • That only makes some kind of keys appear on the top left corner but does not change the doc.
  • which Word version, which operating system?
    You're almost certainly seeing this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/word_field_codes
  • I am seeing this yes, but none of the described things work. Should I press alt and F9 after clicking into a specific area or just generally after opening the doc?
  • Oh, and Word 2007
  • and I've got Windows 07
  • Okay, so I've solved the problem with the references now by changing my preferences from 'fields' to 'bookmarks'. Now I've got two more questions:

Could this have changed anything in the way Zotero works for me?

And my page numbers still only say PAGE\MERGEFORMAT. Do you know what I can do about that?
  • It works when I turn field codes off, but then appears again every time I open the doc again.
  • You want this to work with Fields, which are generally recommended.
    Switch back to Fields, see if any of these instructions help?
    https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/899-word-display-hide-field-codes.html
  • that box was already checked but I still only see the PAGE and MERGEFORMAT thing.
  • It only works when I click the box so that the check mark is gone. Is that okay?
  • Yes, you want the checkmark gone.
  • Okay I've got the next huge problem. One of my docs now only says {Citation} instead of each actual citation. :///
  • Okay, got that sorted now too. I unchecked the literature ref.s in the document preferences.

Phew... I think I'm all sorted again now. Thank you so much for your support!!!