Group sync stopped working

My report ID is 725347026

I set up a group with status public/closed membership, everything worked fine. Yesterday afternoon I changed the status to public/open membership, work a little more on the local library and when I tried to sync Zotero told me I no longer had the access rights. I changed back the status to closed membership, thinking it might be related to that, but the problem persisted. I answered all error notices with ‘cancel’ so as not to lose my local changes. I did not send the error log because I thought, maybe something is updated or whatever, and let it lie.

Today I tried again with the same result. When I came here the website gave me an update notice, so I updated Zotero. Problem persists. The report ID is from my attempt before the update.

Appreciate any help! :)

Edit: The website just told me again that my zotero addon was outdated, until I logged in, then the notice disappeared. This is completely unrelated to my actual problem, I’m sure, just saying.
  • It’s working again.

I didn’t do anything except retry once again (after three more failed attempts or so after the post above), so I assume it was server side issue?
  • Nothing changed on the server side, but I think the issue is that you have file editing disabled for the group and were trying to sync some attachments. I'd guess that you deleted those locally (or had done so previously and emptied the trash) before it worked.

Zotero shouldn't allow you to create files if the group doesn't allow them, but if they were previously allowed and you later changed the setting, I think you can get that error a few different ways. (We probably need to make sure that that setting can't be changed as long as there are files in the group, or prompt for confirmation on the website and delete files in the group when changing the setting).
  • Thanks, Dan!

I never had attachments allowed and had always deleted them before sync. However, I haven’t always emptied the local group trash before trying to sync. Would that cause the problem because trash tries to sync attachments? It didn’t even occur to me that trash would sync also.

I think, a more precise error message would help a lot.