Word crashes after adding citation: Error-Code 1317923451

I have made hundrets of citations in my word (2016, Win10) document but sometimes Word crashes when adding or editing a citation. And then I am not able to use it anymore until after 1 hour or two it works agein..

Zotero produces an error (1317923451) message: The remote procedure call failed. [insertFieldRaw:document.cpp]'The remote procedure call failed. [insertFieldRad:document.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::insertField].

This happens with Zotero Standalone and with the Firefox extension. I reinstalled Word, Zotero, the plugins (for word and firefox). But I can't find any correlations between my troubleshooting and the appearance of the error.
Does anybody have an idea?
  • it's rather odd. Security software maybe? That delay makes me suspect that might be the case. When you get that error, does restarting help?
  • edited September 10, 2016
    I am witnessing the exact same error and it kind of happens regularly enough to stop me from working. But I cannot see any correlation with whatever I try to troubleshoot. Reinstallation, restart of programs and computer reboot. The error appears and then all of a sudden, after deleting various times the part of the word document I was editing at the moment, goes away for some time, only to reappear later on.

Edit: It seems to have something to do with invisible leftovers of the field that was inserted when crashing. Sorry, I don't know how to describe it more technically.

Btw: Using word 2016 and zotero for firefox, even though the same happened with the standover version.
  • Any more news on this? I'm also using Win 10 Word 2016, Zotero v4.0.29.10, add-on 3.5.5.SA.4.0.29.10. Security-wise I'm running ESET Endpoint 6.4.2014.0

It allows me to add 2-3 citations and then both Word and Zotero Standalone crash. Have updated and reinstalled as far as I can.

Any advice?
  • I'd add this point see if this goes away in the upcoming 5.0 version of Zotero. We honestly don't really know what's going on here, but 5.0 changes enough that fixing this mysterious error may just come as a byproduct.
  • I had the very same issue on Zotero v4.0.29.10 but I figured out that .17 is the current version. I updated and for that seems to have fixed the issue. maybe that is a solution for others, too.