No sync, no library importation

Hi,

I intended to sync my Zotero libary using my new computer (Win 10, Firefox 46). Surprisingly, it is not possible. Zotero claims that the log-in data was not correct. However, from my older computer (Win 7, Firefox 46), syncing works flawless.

As an interim turnaround, I exported my library on my old computer and sought to import the libary on the new one. To my astonishment, importing did not work either (no matter if the chosen file format was Zotero RDF, Endnote XML, BibLaTeX, or others.

Any ideas?
  • When trying to import, an error message appears, requesting to check whether the selected file is correct.

Obviously, the file is the correct one...
  • I can't tell why import didn't work, but it's good that it didn't. That would have made things a lot more complicated for you.

Use option A here to transfer without syncing:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library

Then, most of the time, sync errors because of wrong username/password are user errors, so you'd want to double check on that. Easy to mistype a password, say.

If you're absolutely positive that's not the case, Dan can take a look (I assume the username under which you're posting is the one you're syncing with?)
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply and for advising me on avoiding the import option.

I now first verified again that the used password was correct. As I use a password manager, I inserted the password therein on both machines, with the familiar diverging result. The password works on the older computer, it works for signing into this web interface, but it does not work for the newer machine.

However, substituting the password for a newer one finally did the trick. Library synced successfully across devices.
    Just out of curiosity, I still wonder why the original password only did not work with the newer device. Are there any limitations in terms of length or special characters possibly causing this behaviour?
  • no known limitations, but it's been the case in the past the ones with certain special characters failed, so maybe there's still a remaining issue. If you still have the old password and aren't using it anywhere else, would you mind posting it here or sending it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?