footnotes/endnotes

• edited October 15, 2006
    re: chicago notes feature...would be better to take the note number off and allow one to copy it to clipboard with a right click since the probable way of using it will be to paste the text within a footnote and there are too many clicks to get between Zotero and the footnote in the document.
  • instead of a number, what the footnote function needs for Chicago style footnotes is for multiple items to be separated with a semicolon, with the last one ending with a period. Selecting the style (APA, Chicago, etc) and the action (html, clipboard, rtf, etc) every time is very slow, the user should be able to set these up in preferences and then just right click or hot key and copy/produce the note.
  • FWIW, part of the design of the styling system (CSL) it the notion that one should be able to have automatically footnoted citations. It was a design requirement of mine (I'm the author) that a user should be able to switch back-and-forth between in-text and note-based citations styles, without having to modify the document source. Not sure the Zotero guys are ware of this, but I consider it an important design goal.

That doesn't address the short-term issues though.
  • Ultimately we plan to have two citation export functions: 1) a quick formatted copy to the clipboard to insert text; 2) a placeholder export that allows for reformatting and updating on the fly. For the latter, Office's new XML document format should help out a great deal.
  • When I generated a lengthy set of notes in Chicago style, the order of the generated list in rtf seemed thoroughly arbitrary even though the list that appeared in the Zotero pane was alphabetical. That made it much harder to locate particular references to import into document. Is there a logic to the order of the generated list that I just don't recognize?
  • I can't seem to replicate the problem.
  • Well, I have a list with 54 references, which I alphabetized by "Creator" in the Zotero pane.

The first ten reference in the Zotero pane have "Creators" ranging from [blank] to Cott.

The following are the first ten references as generated in rtf:

1. David Ward, Cities and Immigrants; a Geography of Change in Nineteenth-century America (New York: Oxford University Press, 1971).

2. Stuart M. Blumin, The Emergence of the Middle Class: Social Experience in the American City, 1760-1900 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989).

3. Frederick J. Turner, “Social Forces in American History,” The American Historical Review 16, no. 2 (January 1911): 217-233, http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-8762%28191101%2916%3A2%3C217%3ASFIAH%3E2.0.CO%3B2-V (accessed October 24, 2006).

4. Dixon Wecter, The Age of the Great Depression, 1929-1941 (New York: Macmillan Co, 1948).

5. Lawrence W. Levine, Black Culture & Black Consciousness (New York: Encyclopedia Americana/CBS News Audio Resource Library, 1977).

6. American Historical Association, Smithsonian Institution, and American Historical Association, Annual Report of the American Historical Association (Washington: U.S. G.P.O, 1890).

7. Caroline F. Ware, The Early New England Cotton Manufacture; a Study in Industrial Beginnings (New York: Houghton Mifflin company, 1931).

8. Mary P. Ryan, Cradle of the Middle Class: The Family in Oneida County, New York, 1790-1865 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1981).

9. Louis Hartz, The Liberal Tradition in America; an Interpretation of American Political Thought Since the Revolution (New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1955).

10. Carl Frederick Wittke, We Who Built America; the Saga of the Immigrant (New York: Prentice-Hall, 1939).
  • And you're using 1.0.0b2.r2?
  • I also cannot replicate this problem. The Chicago style exports citations in whatever sort-order they currently display in Zotero. If the problem persists after upgrading to b2.r2, contact me at styles@zotero.org for instructions on exporting me a copy of your library and preparing a console dump.
  • A little more investigation revealed that it makes a difference how one creats the bibliography. When I created the bibliography from a collection by clicking on the folder in the left pane, it came up in the strange, seemingly arbitrary order. But when I created the bibliography by highlighting the titles of the entries in the middle pane, it came up in the order displayed in Zotero. I hope this information helps.
  • Thanks for your extra investigation. I am confident that we'll be able to track down the problem now. I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.
  • I'm new to Zotero. How do I add a footnote in Word?

Whenever I try to do it, it only inserts the last name of the author.

Let's say I wanted to add a footnote like this. How would I do it?

Robert L. Thomas, How to Choose a Bible Version: An Introductory Guide to English Translations (Ross-shire, Great Britain: Mentor/Christian Focus, 2000) 103.

Thanks a lot!!
    David
  • open a new thread. This one is 4 years old and unrelated.
    Use Chicago Full note with Bibliography. Put 103 in the "page" field in the plugin.
    Once again though - any more questions --> new thread.
  • Thanks Adam!
  • BTW: This thread can be closed - all the original issues have long been addressed.
This discussion has been closed.