Different type of reference

I am supporting a project on campus that will be using Zotero to format a very large collection of data, and there are a few kinds of data that are not already defined in the item types.
Is there a way to create a new item type for us to use on this project? Or should we try to modify an existing item type that we don't need to use in the project? What we need is a type for "Honors & Awards" and a type for "Creative Works" (this is _not_ just artwork or published creative writing, so isn't covered by existing types).
  • It is possible to make changes to item types, to do so would require making changes to the database. However, it is strongly discouraged and will lead to problems with updating in the future.

I would strongly recommend that you find existing Zotero items with fields that fit your general needs for each of these types. Think more about available fields than names.

As far as "Creative Works" is concerned I would see no issue with mapping that to Artwork, what fields are you missing in the existing Artwork item? Now for "Honors & Awards" Can you get away with a general Document type, and then just tag it "Honors & Awards" or are their other fields you need?