errors when attempting to add citation

I am trying to add a citation into a document that already has existing citations and a reference list generated. I am receiving the following error messages:

"You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates? Click "yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the item to which is refers. Clicking "no" will erase your changes."

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -10000.) @(setCode:field.m:592)' when calling method: (zoteroIntegrationField::setCode)"

I want to keep my modification (so that it adds the other citation) as well as allow future updates... because I want Zotero to update the auto-generated reference list.

Please advise.
  • perhaps you misunderstand what "keep modification" means -- this is referring to an existing citation (which should be highlighted) and says you have modified it in Word. Is that the case?

(Also, are you using track changes in the document? That can make things messy in some situations)
  • The existing citation is not highlighted. Whether or not I choose 'yes' or 'no' in the first error message, nothing in the document updates.

I received this document from someone else (who was also not able to add the citations). It seems like the document is not able to integrate existing and new citations. The numbers and citations appear to just be text, whether adding or deleting in-text citations or references from the bibliography, nothing updates.

Track changes is off, I did read that sometimes that can cause issues. The document is in final form.
  • Thanks for the info. I ran through the steps and am still unable to find the issue. I sent an error report. Whats the next step I should take?
  • But what happened when you tried to isolate the broken citation, i.e. the last two steps?