Meaningful folder names for saved files?

I'm using Zotero v4.0.29.5.

The PDFs attached to my articles are stored in readable form automatically thanks to the Zotfile extension, but folder names are apparently random.

Is there a way to automatically organize my database storing files in folders named as 'years'?

I see Zotfile has a 'Location of files' feature that would/should allow this though a 'Use subfolder defined by' option, but I'm not sure what will happen if I activate it now. Will it re-organize my entire database or just new additions? Can I select as 'Custom location' the same parent folder where Zotero currently stores files, or should I select a different one?
  • Zotfile can create folder structures based on all different types of data; you can find instructions/descriptions on zotfile.com

If you do set the location, note that the files are moved out of Zotero, so they won't sync using Zotero file storage anymore (though you can then use other services like Dropbox).

By default this only affects new files, but you can apply this to (all) old files using right-click--> manage attachments --> rename attachments.
    Also note this is only for definied file types, not e.g. snapshots.
  • Thanks adam! I just did that and it was easier than I thought.