English citations - still doesn't work after Internet Research

Dear community

I'm a student writing a paper in English with OpenOffice but unfortunately zotero just decided to cite in German. I've been reading for troubleshooting and tried out several things:
- about:config in firefox and followed the steps to change the language to en-US -> turned out to be already in English.
- installed the quick locale switcher and tried to change to english -> also there I could confirm that it is already en-US

I have my deadline at the coming Monday and I have no clue how I could fix the problem. Could it be because I have a German version of OpenOffice? Would that solve the problem (would be great, even though I would like to keep it in German where I know all the things I need).

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much and have a nice evening!
  • You can set the language for the citation style under Set Document Preferences in the OpenOffice add-on. (Unless, of course, your style is a German style, but it would say so).
  • Thanks for your reply, adamsmith.
    Unfortunately I'm not able to find anything that is likely to have the same English meaning for "Set", "Document", "Set Document" or "Preferences".
    Could you tell me how I can find this option exactly?

Thanks in advance
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage has the icons. I'm assuming here you're using the Zotero add-on for OpenOffice.

Also, which citation style are you using?
  • Thanks for the link. I don't know how to re-open the citation style box after naming the reference typ (sry I forgot that, it's APA (6th Edition if I remember correctly). Even when I can reopen the preference citation style, where can I put it to English?

Thanks once more
  • That's what Set Document Preferences is for -- for changing/checking citations styles and setting the language. I gave you the link above so you could find that option, so I'm not quite sure what more to tell you?
  • Yeah, thanks that really helped a lot, I know now where the problem is. Unfortunately I can't find "Set Document Preferences" anywhere in OpenOffice.
    Where can I find it? Edit, File, View? That option just seems to be nowhere and in the link you send me are only the seven described icons that don't get me anywhere near the citation styles.
    It even tells me "when you click this button [zotero insert citation] for the first time in a new document, the "Document Preferences" window opens first. unfortunately I'm not in a new file and want to change it in a already existing file. Nowhere on this page is explained how I can get to this "document Preferences" afterwards. And I just can't find any but that tells me "set" -> "Document Preferences" or anything that is alike. Which buttons do I have to press?

I hope you understand the problem I am having and thanks a lot for your help so far!
  • The link shows 7 icons. One of them is "Zotero Set Doc Prefs" short for "Zotero Set Document Preferences". Next to that icon it says "Open the Document Preferences window, e.g. to change the citation style."
    It also says "Set Document Preferences" when you hover over that icon in Zotero.
  • Okay, now I feel very stupid. I don't know how I could possibly oversee something that obvious. I think I have to get more sleep in the future when I'm Troubleshooting program problems. :p

Thank you very much for help and have a nice day!