Style validation change?

13»
  • edited April 16, 2016
    I should have accounted for this when writing that parsing code in the first place. Line endings are a classic gotcha.

It's an odd thing that we've actually come full circle on string parsing. When I started in on the processor, I began coding something similar (but more badly), and Simon politely suggested that I use a thing called the DOM instead. At that time (around 2009?) DOM was significantly faster than JS. That's now been reversed by JIT compilers: string parsing is faster than DOM now, easier on resources, and loses a dependency to boot. (None of which matters, of course, when things break.)
  • The updated processor is also available now in the latest 4.0 Beta. If someone who was experiencing this can confirm that it works, we'll put out a new official version.
  • I am confirming that the latest 4.0 Beta is working. I was experiencing the exact same problem: a style a created years ago was generating an error stating that the style was not valid. I installed the updated processor and voilà!
  • I experienced the same problem with Firefox 45.0.2, Word 2016 and Zotero plugin 4.0.29.7.
    I figured out how to fix one of styles I had been using for many years. Here is the fix for csl file:
    1. Convert end of line to UNIX format (I used Notepad++ for this).
    2. Check that all XML properties use double quotes ("). Single quotes do not work now.
  • @KValentin: Apologies for the inconvenience: this was my desk.

Re (1): This has been fixed in the processor, and a Zotero release with the update will be coming up soon.

Re (2): Ouch. Both forms are valid, so this too needs to be fixed. I'll get that out asap as well.
  • The quotes issue is fixed now, in citeproc-js tag release 1.1.98.
  • edited April 17, 2016
    Zotero 4.0.29.8 is out now for Firefox with the latest processor changes.

If you installed the beta, you can switch back to the official version from the download page.
  • Thanks for the quick release, Dan - and sorry (to everyone affected) for the hiccup.